When Steve and I were fairly new Christians we were members of a Baptist Church in Lake Oswego, Oregon. Our own Sharon’s father-in-law was pastor. He was a gentle and godly man with a great sense of humor, and God used him to fan the spark of faith in my husband Steve into a roaring flame.
But what I am remembering this week, as Paul Tripp takes us nearer to the cross, is how Pastor Leach heard (from guess who!) that I didn’t want to come to the Good Friday service, for going over the crucifixion was just too painful. He called me.
“I want you to come, Dee.”
“I just can’t, Pastor. It’s too horrific to go over those terrible details.”
“It is hard, but it will be good for your heart.”
I stuck in my heels and didn’t go. Steve went without me and I stayed home with our little boys.
I should have gone.
Some of you may feel the same as we get close to the cross.
Close to the suffering.
But it will be good for our hearts. Let us keep going, holding hands in the dark tunnel, spurring one another on.
At the end of the week, Tripp goes into how the cross leads to such victory, and that too is so good for our hearts — but we can’t get to the light at the end of the tunnel without going through the tunnel. So let’s go together. This poster from belief.net makes me think of Sam’s words in Lord of the Rings: Is everything sad going to come untrue?
- Share a God Hunt from last week.
Monday: Day 29.
2. What stands out to you from Day 29 and why?
3. I want to hear, in a sentence, what your worst job was and why! Then answer one more question.
4. Do the prayer exercise.
Tuesday: Day 30.
5. What stands out to you Tripp’s poem and why?
6. Choose a question to answer.
7. Do the prayer exercise.
Wednesday: Day 31.
8. What stands out to you from Day 31 and why?
9. Answer all three questions.
10. Do the prayer exercise.
Thursday: Day 32.
11. What stands out to you from Day 32 and why?
12. Choose a question to answer.
13. Do the prayer exercise.
Friday: Day 33.
14. What stands out to you from Day 33 and why?
15. Choose a question to answer.
16. Do the prayer exercise.
Saturday: Day 34.
17. What stands out to you from Day 34 and why?
18. Choose a question or two to answer.
19. Do the prayer exercise.