My daughter Sally was reading “The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe” to her young daughters. They realized someone was going to have to die to set Edmund free from the White Witch.
Who would it be?
They made several guesses.
I hope it isn’t Mr Tumnus!
Or Mr. Beaver!
They never even imagined it would be Aslan.
But when it turned out to be, Sadie cried out in shock:
“NO! NO! NO! NOT ASLAN! NOT HIM!”
(Sally and Sadie)
Sadie had fallen in love with him. The thought of him dying was too terrible.
Yet it could only be him, the one without sin.
So, in love, he turned toward the storm, setting his face like flint to set us free.
Highlight from Last Week:
Great interaction on overcoming contempt. Jennifer’s testimony was so practical for us all:
- What stands out to you from the above and why?
- How has our intimate God met you recently?
(Tomorrow’s lesson is a bit longer than usual if you want to begin today.)
Monday: Are You The Christ, The Son of the Blessed One?
“I Am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of The Mighty One and coming in the clouds of heaven.” (Mark 14:62)
3. Read Daniel 7:13-14 and describe Daniel’s vision.
4. Read Mark 14:53-65
A. Read it aloud, to see more, and share anything that stands out to you. What is it and why do
you think it stands out?
B. What makes someone willing to testify falsely, do you think?
C. How did Jesus respond to the question “Are you the Christ?”
D. He has been asked this before and not answered. Why now, do you think?
E. How do the listeners respond?
6. Read Mark 15:1-5.
A. What question of Pilate’s does Jesus answer, and how?
B. What questions does He not answer? Why, do you think?
7. Read Mark 15:6-15
A. How does Pilate try to get out of crucifying Jesus?
B. When that plan fails, why does Pilate go ahead?
C. How can the idol of the approval of man be very dangerous to you?
8. Read the opening 5 pages in Chapter 17 in Keller’s book, ending after Mark 15:11-15. Share
your notes and comments.
Tuesday: Maker of the World Unmade
9. Read Mark 15:20-24
A. Why do you think Mark mentions that Simon was the father of Alexander and Rufus?
B. Why do you think Jesus refused the wine mixed with myrrh?
The following article will help with the above question:
(This touched me so. My husband refused morphine during his last painful hours, but
I gave it to him intravenously despite his wishes, hating his suffering — now — I wonder if that
was wrong. Yet, even that, I cast at the feet of Jesus, and know He forgives.)
C. What prophecies were fulfilled by the above? (See Keller)
10. Read Mark 15:25-34 and share what stands out to you and why.
11. Read in Keller’s book from After Mark 15:11-15 up to Darkness and Disintegration and share
your notes and comments.
Wednesday: Darkness and Disintegration
12. Read this section in the chapter through Amos 8:7-8 and share your notes and comments.
Thursday: The Curtain and The Centurion
13. Read the section in Keller’s book following Amos 8:7-8 up to The Beauty of Darkness and share your notes and comments.
14. Read Mark 15:35-39
A. What is the significance of the curtain being torn from top to bottom?
B. Of the centurion’s statement?
C. Give thanks for anything you see in this passage that applies to you.
Friday: The Beauty of Darkness
15. Read this section in Keller’s book and share your notes and comments.
16. What is your take-a-way and why? Give thanks.