The Gospel in Old Testament Names

It puts me in wonder, but the gospel is hidden, in several instances, in Old Testament names. We are going to look at that in several places over the next month, taking a couple of weeks just for the genealogy listed in Genesis. I think it will put you in awe of our amazing God who planned to rescue us from the beginning!

I have often spoken about my friends Ron and Debbie, who came to Christ three years ago. Though in their early seventies, their lives have completely changed. Ron said, “I never knew such joy was possible.” They see everything differently. They took me out to eat this week, and I told them about the new book I am writing, tentatively titled “The Jesus Who Surprises.”

Ron said, “Well, He surely has surprised me over and over and over again!”

I laughed, thinking of times when God has overwhelmed them by leaping out like a deer or revealing Himself through His Word. Then I told them how both Jesus Himself and His gospel is foreshadowed in every book in the Old Testament, Ron turned to me with shock and confusion and said, “Jesus is in the Old Testament?”

Oh — how they delight me. Seeing the Lord and His Word through the eyes of a baby Christian is like seeing the world through the eyes of a child. You see it fresh — and you again, just how amazing our God is.

Watching Ron and Debbie was like watching my grand-daughter Miabelle on her first visit to the ocean. Oh the wonder! She stood and gazed for the longest time…

We are going to begin this week with the ten names that are listed in the genealogy of Genesis 5 (and also 1 Chronicles 1) and at their Hebrew meanings. I think it is very probable that those who have seen a hidden gospel sentence here are correct. Depending on how you translate two of the more obscure Hebrew names, the “Gospel sentence” varies a bit, but it still teaches the same bad news and good news of the gospel. We have been appointed judgment — but God sent a rescuer. Here is one translation:

And here is another (less than 5 minutes) shown from the organization Pilgrim’s Light:

I know most of you are back in the busy season of fall: school, church programs, and Bible studies starting back up. So I’m going to lighten the homework from now on this fall in hopes we can keep this fellowship going. We also will be sharing our regular God sightings!

Sunday:

1. What stands out to you from the above and why?

2. How has God caused you to WONDER recently?

Monday: Naming Your Child

Before we look at biblical names, I want to make the point that names are still important to God. We saw just recently how our own Lizzy and Jon were in wonder to find out that their son Philip’s Chinese name meant: Glory. What a confirmation to them for they want the chief end of their lives and of Philip’s to be to glorify God!

I have written name stories on this blog four years ago when my grand-daughter Lily was born (If you didn’t see it, or want a quick review, here is the link:  https://deebrestin.com/2013/04/when-god-names-a-child/

In capsule form (but there are other great name stories on that post) God gave my daughter Annie the name Lily Grace so clearly when she was seven months pregnant. No one expected Lily to be born on Easter, but she was late — and arrived Easter morning. I sat in church, surrounded by the fragrance and sight of lilies lining the steps when I got the text:

Lily Grace is here, Mama!

We are so full of joy.

Bring Miabelle and come meet her right after church!

I thought, in wonder, You really did name her, Lord.

Here is Lily at two and just this week, tuckered out from pre-school. Oh, be still my grandma heart!

Lily Grace

3. Do you have a story of God naming a child? Do you have comments on the above or the fact that He does name children?

THIS WEEK: MAN [IS] APPOINTED MORTAL SORROW

Could also be translated (Mankind is appointed to mortality, a fixed place.)

Tuesday and Wednesday: Adam

When I first heard about this gospel sentence, I was skeptical. It was my Pentecostal son J. R. who first showed it to me, quoting Chuck Missler. I said: “Who is Chuck Missler?”

J. R. said, “He’s not a Pentecostal.” (And we laughed. I have told him Pentecostals see meaning in everything, and I know he feels evangelicals look right at something hidden and miss it. But if we listen to each other, we can learn from each other, being as iron sharpens iron. How beautiful is the diversified body of Christ.)

But I did research, as we are told to be like the Bereans, checking things out. I talked to a Hebrew scholar. I also found many respected scholars believed it from Pentecostal to Reformed. Sometimes you have to go to the root of the word, but even with my limited Hebrew knowledge, I could see it using online concordances. Here is one good article on it if you are interested. http://wesleyhuff.blogspot.com/2016/12/genealogy-of-genesis-5-christmas.html

We begin with Adam, and we know from the New Testament that he represents fallen man, for Jesus is the second Adam, who succeeded where Adam failed and thus made rescue possible.

4. What is the first name given in the genealogy listed in Genesis 5:1?

5. Read Genesis 3:20-24

B. Who named Adam and Eve and what do you think this signifies?

C. What does the name Adam mean? (Here’s a link: http://lexiconcordance.com/hebrew/0120.htmlD.

D. What does the name Eve mean? (See text)

would name them, so what does this tell you about men and women?

6. Can you think of an instance where you exercised dominion over the animals and God helped you? If so, share this God sighting.

Wednesday: Seth

7. Why did Eve choose the name Seth according to the text of Genesis 4:25?

(Seth comes from the Hebrew word shiyth — the root is twot, meaning to appoint, to lay upon, to put) You can check this out online with websites like Bible gateway or Blue Letter Bible.)

8. Challenge Question: Why couldn’t the line of Abel die out?

Thursday: Enosh and Kenan

10. What does the name Enosh mean? http://lexiconcordance.com/hebrew/0582.html

Read this from Chuck Missler. I think he makes a strong case that mortal sorrow is a better translation than “mortality, a fixed place.” But you see what  you think — and in any case, both carry the same idea.

Enosh’s son was named Kenan, from which can mean “sorrow,” dirge,” or “elegy.” (The precise denotation is somewhat elusive; some study aids unfortunately presume an Aramaic root synonymous with “Cainan.”) Balaam, looking down from the heights of Moab, employed a pun upon the name of the Kenites when he prophesied their destruction.
11. How does this first phrase: Man [is] appointed mortal sorrow tell the “bad news” part of the gospel?

Friday: Man [is] appointed mortal sorrow. (Or Mankind is appointed to mortality, a fixed place)

Knowing God appointed sorrow for us can chill our bones, yet I have also found it brings comfort. Why? It was not Satan who appointed the sorrow, but God. What does this mean? He appointed sorrow for our good – first, to awaken us to our need for a Savior.

Back in the 1970’s the distinguished psychiatrist Karl Menninger wrote a book that would become a classic: Whatever Became of Sin? He noted how the word “sin” had become politically incorrect. It was Abraham Lincoln who instituted The National Day of Prayer to honor God and to address the problem of sin in America. But the last president to actually use the word “sin” during the National Day of Prayer was President Eisenhower. Since then words like “short-comings,” or “mistakes” are used instead.

Yet we haven’t just made a mistake, we have rebelled against a holy God, going our own way instead of His. And unless we realize that God’s wrath is real, unless we realize how desperate we are, we will not respond to the only One who can rescue us, not only from the penalty of sin, but from the power of sin in our lives. Instead, He also appoints sorrow for running to our idols, to awaken us to our need.

12. Comment on the above.

13. Sometimes a God sighting occurs when He brings sorrow into your life for good. Can you share such a time?

Saturday:

14. What is your take-a-way from this week and why?

1. What stands out to you from the above and why?
2. How has God caused you to WONDER recently?
Deb and Ron continually delight my soul with their childlike faith. Oh, that I would always be in wonder of the triune God! I want to be like them and Miabelle!
That you are writing another book, Dee! Oh, can’t wait-thank you for blessing us with your writings.
The genealogy and names put together to point to Jesus-AWESOME! WONDERFUL!

Cause of wonder: That this is the topic for this week. I am leading our Sunday School class in the study of Genesis and Leviticus and have been asking God to enlighten me to find Jesus in the OT! Wonder of wonders!

What a wonderful enthusiastic way to begin our week, Bing! And yes, a God sighting for you!

Good morning ladies! Its another beautiful day in Chicago!

What stands out to me is the genealogy & meaning of the names & how they spell out God’s plan in Jesus. Wow, I have never heard that before. God thinks of everything!! Love love the little face of Miabelle gazing in wonder, & the work God is doing in Ron & Deb. How blessed they are to have you for a friend & teacher, Dee  :)

Most days I’m in wonder at the glory of God’s creation in Nature. Now, the anticipation of Fall coming & leaves changing color moment by moment, like an unfolding. Lord may I never cease to wonder at Your beauty & mercy…needing my eyes to be opened with fresh wonder today!

You have a lyrical way of writing, Jenny. Didn’t realize you were so close as Chicago. That city is lovely in the fall! I went to school in Evanston and remember.

Oh I’m in Glenview right near Evanston. Only 15 mins from the Lake, but not as close as u!! Yes Fall is gorgeous here  :)

1. What stands out to you from the above and why?

I absolutely love this idea of Jesus in the OT! I was first exposed to the concept when Nancy Demoss Wolglemuth had a series on Rahab. So sweet to think He has loved us forever.

2. How has God caused you to WONDER recently?

The majesty of the highest point in the Northeast, Mount Washington. With its extreme weather and high winds, the view to Canada and the Atlantic Ocean, and the peace and quiet on the way up the mountain, I can see and feel His wonder.

1.  What stood out?  That this is the start of busyness.  Actually, Aug was that for me, and I was gone from here for basically all of it.  When Dee said she would lighten the homework for the fall, I was actually disappointed.  I love digging in together!

2.  The glory of God’s wonders!  We were on vacation from Aug 18-Sept 5.  We were able to take in the eclipse with our son/family in NE, drive to Glacier before the majority of the fires, spend several days in Yellowstone and the Tetons with a group of cousins, see Teddy Roosevelt park in ND, and then spend time with our daughter, in part taking in the MN state fair.  Each destination held something memorable, each drive a precious time to spend with my husband. It was all a gift from my Father, bathed in beauty. If forced to say one, it would have to be the eclipse.  Having never seen one before, and likely not to ever see another, it was very special.

I have missed being here.  Initially I tried to keep up at least reading comments, but then had trouble with my computer and had to totally give up. I am ready to be back, even if life is busy!

I love hearing you were disappointed about lightened homework, Mary! That means you will dig deeper and bring more to all of us!

I felt the same way about the homework, Mary!

1. What stands out to you from the above and why?

I am happy that you are writing another book, Dee. It puts me in awe of those who are still active and serving as they grow older. How wonderful!

I too must admit that I am skeptical about the “Gospel sentence” – a true evangelical, ha! But perhaps you can persuade me! But there is no doubt that name where given with a meaning in the OT and we too should think carefully about the names we give to babies. Just this morning in Sunday School one of the women was wondering out loud what our new names would be in heaven. I explained to them that in Kenya in the church denomination where we worked for a few years a person was given a new biblical name when they were baptized. It was kind of cool, I thought, signifying new life.

I have been having a hard time keeping up, Dee. We have a lot of things going on. Life never really seems to let up. But I do love following along more silently.

Hi, Diane.  Are you the one that administers the face book page for so many of the ladies here?  If so, I would like to join if I am permitted.  Thanks so much.  My name on Face Book is Miriam Missy Matson.  Email is miriammatson@outlook.com.

Your thoughts matter, Diane. I’m not 100% convinced, but pretty close — at least that there is a gospel sentence there. I may write one more Hebrew scholar I know!

Diane–always so good to “hear your voice” here! I love what you shared about the Church in Kenya. I had a good friend in high school who did something similar and legally had his name changed when he became a believer as it was a dramatic change of lifestyle for him. He is now an active leader with Cru. I remember being struck by his desire to have his name reflect he was made new.

When George and I named our children, we always liked to include at least one family name with a non family name. Our oldest was named after his father, who was named after his father. The next was named with the names of two relatives; one who had passed very young and my grandfather whom I never knew. Our daughter had a name that I liked and my moms name, and finally, our fourth child is named a non family name with a family name. I always joked that our family names turned out to be puritanical! They are George, John, Sarah, and Wesley. Then, later, I realized we had John and Wesley, just like our Methodist founders! This was not planned. Wesley’s name is his middle that we use. I haven’t really paid much attention to the meanings though. Sarah means princess (and oh yes she thinks she is), but I can’t remember the others. I have never heard this idea about the names from Adam to Noah! It is really cool!

1. What stands out to you from the above and why?

Ron and Debbie are a delight indeed and I love love this story! Ron told me the two people who have impacted his life the most are Debbie and Dee. :)

I watched the 5 minute video and oh..I hadn’t seen this thread in the Old Testament before!! Wow.

1. What stands out to you from the above and why?

It surely caught my attention that Dee has plans for a new book! And, I admit that when reading those lists of names in the OT, it’s not my favorite thing to read….most of them I have no idea how to pronounce them, and I never knew that they signified anything except that if someone’s name made it into the Bible, there must have been a good reason to include that person. I love Ron’s statement that he never knew such JOY was possible. It is that very joy that has eluded me for some time now as I am in a desert season.

2. How has God caused you to WONDER recently?

I really don’t believe in coincidental run-ins with people. I miss my former group of co-workers – they were all really special and we all got along so well; no “cattiness”, no gossip. Saturday I had a couple of errands to run and I saw not one, but two of them – Kathy and Betty. With Betty, I was in the back of the store when I heard them announce that they had a fruit tray on register 2 for – and then they said Betty’s last name. She has a very unique last name and I hurried to the front and there she was! Kathy doesn’t live near me but she was with her daughter and grandkids at the local flea market where I had stopped. Yesterday I sat outside for a bit and I really love crickets….it always amazes me that such a tiny bug can make such loud ‘music’ and I love hearing them! Sometimes when I hear the crickets and frogs and probably some other kind of insect at night, it’s almost like an orchestra – they all have their own part and they seem to go back and forth and answer each other….it’s God’s music of the night!

Susan–LOVE how God brought Kathy & Betty to you Saturday! I agree, that isn’t “coincidence” but I believe He just wanted to encourage you, make you smile, remind you just how loved (& like-able!) you are.

Susan my dear friend, I will be praying for you in this desert season. I often think about Matthew 5:3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” during the long dry spells. I remind myself that it takes a lot (and maybe is worth a lot) to continue in faith when you don’t feel anything that even comes close to peace, rest, satisfaction or connection.

The fact that you are continuing on even when you don’t feel like it or don’t see the point in it means that you have faith in the one that can and will bring about a renewal. There is hope!

Oh thank you for your encouragement, Dawn! You are also one who I’ve seen persevere through the years you’ve been on the blog and so I very much respect and value your counsel!

3.  Story of naming a child? My mother always said I looked like a Mary at birth. She always said it in a disappointed way, but today I look up at my name plaque, and it says Mary means ‘expression of worship’. I know that Mara, from which Mary comes, means bitter. And my mother may have felt bitterness at the birth of her fourth girl, but God saw me as an expression of worship.  Today that changes forever how I see my name!  Each time I was pregnant, I didn’t pray about names, but I did ask the Lord for character traits for each of my kids. He gave them as I asked, and they both know that who they are is a gift from The Father.

I like you way of viewing your name, Mary.

I have seen that also, Mary, that Mary comes from “mara” meaning bitter but then I have seen compassionate as a meaning also and, if I remember correctly, you and I are both nurses, right?  :)

Mary E — I’d forgotten you are a nurse. How has this impacted your medical journey?

Ugh, I think good and bad, probably like your husband.  As an RN (I later became a nurse practitioner) I had actually worked oncology for a couple years.  I think sometimes over analyzing everything has it’s negatives but on the other hand, I think some knowledge has helped me to get ideas of what I might need.  I actually just spoke with a palliative care nurse practitioner today to get started in that program.  It’s not hospice (though it is through our hospice program) so I can still pursue active treatment to kill this cancer but I am really needing help with side-effect control and pain management and I think being a nurse, myself, helped me to make this NP understand my issues better than I could have explained if I were not and she was right on point with what I’m needing.  It was a sad thing for me to turn this corner but also a relief because I probably needed to do it months ago!

That is right! We are both nurses.

1. What stands out to you from the above and why?
Seeing the meaning of those biblical names tied together in a “Gospel sentence”  to me reveals again the deeper meanings God often has buried in His precious Word. Sometimes it is like mining for diamonds to find them.   I have never seen the name sentence connection before even though I have set under much good teaching on the significance and meaning of biblical names.  I do think there are those who get carried away with numbers in the bible and supposed “biblical codes” but this is different in my mind.  I think to have a true appreciation of God’s Word and the wonderful truths and mysteries He reveals to us from his inspired words we need to be taught and consider the original language because most often they are far richer than our English translations.
2. How has God caused you to WONDER recently?
The power of His Word.

I wonder at the grace of God poured into my life. His salvation of my soul and the very real hope of Heaven.  So undeserved by me in my sinful flesh but He has ran after me in love and redeemed me. Brought me to Himself and through his Word speaks to my soul and heart and mind.  This isn’t just “Christianese”  I am not naturally a wonderful spiritual person.  But my desire for Him grows and deepens as he gives me grace upon grace in my spirit through His Word. Apart from Him life is empty but with Him life is full.  I just can’t  help but love Him back.

Bev — that is how I see it too. There are those who get carried away — but there seems to be something to this. But I’ve e-mailed another Hebrew scholar from DTS! :-)

1. What stands out to you from the above and why?
Ron and Debbie–the refreshment to my own faith it is to hear the wonder in newer Believers. It is saddening when I think how easy it is to become dull, used to His ways, too familiar. But when I hear the excitement of Ron and Debbie, and my own children discovering truths–it’s helps me see things anew. It renews and strengthens me. It reminds me the importance of being in fellowship with the Body, I think that must delight Him–diversity gleaning from one another, regardless of age or stage in your walk. And of course it is also encouraging to see God’s mercy, his patience, that age is not a hindrance to receiving the Gospel, and their joy is every bit as complete and full.
Oh and sweet Lily Grace–one of those stories where it’s hard for the world to even believe and yet we who know Him know how He LOVES to do the seemingly impossible, to answer our hearts’ plea, to make us smile.

And I’m with Bing–cannot wait for your next book!!!

2. How has God caused you to WONDER recently?

I’m sorry to keep bringing up Philip, but…the way this child lavishes the love on me–just overwhelms my heart, really. Just today we were running an errand and as I tried to put him back in his car seat he could not stop kissing my face and I just laughed. I had prayed hard for a child who would receive and return my love. Some know the struggle I have faced in that area and I was petrified to repeat that path. Other than Philip’s health, it had been my top prayer request. I got in the car and out loud said “Lord, You really love me THAT much?!” It humbles me because I just see my sin and mistakes as a parent and the ugliness in my heart–it’s hard to believe God would answer this prayer because my self-righteousness screams “I don’t deserve it”, but He did. And I have to remind myself, He isn’t “overlooking” my sinfulness, it was paid for. I know my attitude so often grieves Him and I daily repent, and then can only trust in His mercy and grace and His promise to continue His work in me. That patience shown to Ron & Debbie is also for me. He is a God of long-suffering love. How I long for holiness to love Him well.

Lizzy, your story about Philip’s kisses just swells my heart and brings tears. Oh, how lovely! I truly shows the wonder of God’s love for us!

Love this ““Lord, You really love me THAT much?!” It humbles me because I just see my sin and mistakes as a parent and the ugliness in my heart–it’s hard to believe God would answer this prayer because my self-righteousness screams “I don’t deserve it”, but He did.”

Lizzy, yes He loves you THAT much!

Beautiful Lizzy! Just beautiful. And that is the way our Lord is. Beautiful!!

Please keep sharing. We love hearing the stories.

That’s so beautiful Lizzy! God has such a way of showing His love tangibly to us when we are looking for it! :) What a treasure little Philip is for you!

3. Do you have a story of God naming a child? Do you have comments on the above or the fact that He does name children?

I may have shared this already? sorry if so!, but while waiting on this adoption, as with our others, we had not specified gender. I had a girl name but struggled with a boy name because we have so many many boys in our family and an unspoken rule against re-using names! So I had been asking God to show me a boy name. Then one morning I came across John 1:43  “The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, “Follow me.””  My eyes filled when I read that verse–I pictured God “finding” Philip among the hundreds of thousands of orphans in China, and saying to him “follow Me”. We have that verse on the wall in his bedroom and every nights as I pray with him, I ask God to allow Philip to follow Him, all the days of his life.

Somehow I missed the “Gospel Sentence” in my first reading (I have many (sweet) distractions these days!) but WOW!!! I have never heard of that! And normally I am a skeptic to my core, but even without my own digging (of course I REALLY trust Dee, so there’s that) but I love it–so interesting & powerful!

Lizzy — I’ve been communicating with a Hebrew professor who editted my guide on Ruth from DTS — I’ll write some in my blog next week — she has pause not because she doesn’t see it in the names, but because she hesitates to get people going in that direction as there is so much that can be manipulated. So, I see wisdom there — yet it also makes me a little sad too. I’m praying for God’s light and I know I do have a big responsibiity as a teacher. So! Pray for me. I’ll share more next week.

I’m not sure if God so much had a hand in naming my sons, it was kind of a OCD/math thing. I wanted all of my children to have bible names, but after naming my second son I realized that both of my children had 7 letter first names so I decided that I wanted all of my kids to have 7 letter names. My first son had a 5 letter middle name and my second a 7 letter so I decided to keep the pattern going–7/5, 7/7, 7/5, 7/7.  Matthew James, Stephen Bradley, Timothy Allen, Phillip Charles.  All of their middle names are family names; although I’ve never been able to convince my third son that I had never heard of Tim Allen when he was born. Allen is the spelling of both my brother and my brother in law’s middle name.

My sister in law did point out to me after my last son was born that Phillip in the bible has only one l. I had never noticed that so I guess I spelled it wrong.

Oh Dawn — this makes me smile. You sayingit was sort of an OCD/math thing. I can tell you are gifted in your left brain — we are all so different and that is the beauty of the body of Christ and of the diversity in human beings and all of creation. 7 is the perfect number — so I like it! But never in a thousand years would I have thought of doing it that way!

I’m revisiting this question because I remembered that my grand daughter was named Grace by her father. I thought, at the time, how if anyone needs grace it would be him. I suppose he and my daughter need grace right now. Maybe I need to remember that and little Grace is my reminder. I thought it was funny at the time since I didn’t know if he believed in God or had ever studied the Bible. I realized later that he did know some of the Bible, but doesn’t practice now. I did think God had a hand at the time, but since then I’m not sure. I think I misread everything about our situation, so now I don’t know anymore.

I think God really may have had a hand in giving her that name — certainly He has shown her Grace by giving her a grandmother like you! May she become a woman of grace!

Amen to that !! Laura, Grace is so blessed to have u in her life! May God pour out His Grace continually upon u & your family :)

Thank you so much Jenny!

I firmly believe God names our children-whether we realize it or not. For  me the “story” of my children hasn’t fully played out but I see His fingerprints all over it. For example, my oldest son is named Elijah which means The Lord is God. He used to evangelize his neighborhood friends and tell them about Jesus whether they wanted to hear or not. yikes..yet now it has taken a deeper meaning to me, something I didn’t see that only God could see when he was born. The Lord is God..He is sovereign and reigns over hearts including Elijah’s and that is a comfort to me in his desert season.  Isaac means He laughs and that describes him. I know this is part of his autism but he frequently laughs out of the blue just thinking funny thoughts, and God has given him favor. Everyone who knows him is endeared to him. I don’t know how He Laughs will play out on a deeper level as he grows into a man.

That’s beautiful, Rebecca.

Yes, that’s beautiful Rebecca! I have a niece who has identical twin girls 5yrs old, & they are both on Autism spectrum…pretty bad. I see how hard that is for my niece & I’m sure for u. xxx May the Lord encourage & strengthen your heart in every way, every moment of the day.  :)

4. What is the first name given in the genealogy listed in Genesis 5:1?

Adam

5. Read Genesis 3:20-24

I’m not sure this is the correct scripture? I found that Adam named the animals in chapter 2. He was given dominion over them in chapter 1.

I suppose God felt confident that Adam was capable and would need to know what each was when referring to them?

B. Who named Adam and Eve and what do you think this signifies?

I think God named Adam (man), right? Eve was named “woman” by Adam. He says “…because she came from man…” he also says they will leave their parents an become one. Maybe the significance is that God is in “charge” of Adam, and Adam is “in charge” of the woman? Not sure.

mortal, first human, man kind

I was a very new and inexperienced Christian when my first son was born….I guess I didn’t pray about naming any of my kids. My oldest I named after my mom’s favorite uncle, who died when I was 4 but he was known for his kindness and warmth. He and my great-aunt had no children of their own and my mom was their favorite niece. He made a beautiful wooden rocking horse for my oldest sister, which we all used as well as our kids. His name and my son’s is Adam….the first man! I named my second son Ryan David, David being the name of the older brother I would’ve had if he hadn’t died shortly after birth. My daughter’s name….we didn’t know if we were having a boy or girl, so for a girl’s name, I made a list of names that began with each letter of the alphabet and my husband immediately liked Melanie.

I know in the Bible there are examples of God naming a child….telling Zachariah that he and Elizabeth would have a son and they were to name him John is one example.

I’ve always liked the name Melanie — the only Christian character in Gone With The Wind (the first novel I read that got me hooked on reading!)  — and how Christ-like she was!

4. What is the first name given in the genealogy listed in Genesis 5:1?

Adam

5.A.  God gave Adam the responsibility and privilege of naming the animals (2:19-20a).  It is part of what we were meant to do and be, stewards and administrators of all the earth.

B.  God named Adam (1:27, 2:7), and Adam named Eve (3:20). It seems that the one with more insight or knowledge gives names to the new or unnamed. Later on it is usually the mother that names the children. I would guess that is also part of our commission to have dominion over the earth.

C.  The name Adam means man, or mankind.

D.  Adam first called her woman (2:23), but then he named her Eve (3:20) which means life, because she would be the mother of all the living. Bunny trail. I’ve heard it said that while Eve was deceived, Adam knew full well what he was doing and that he decided to sin and stay with her, thinking that was better than obeying God. In that light, it is interesting that her name means life. She was life to Adam when he should have been choosing God for life.

E.  What does God’s creation and naming tell you about men and women? We were meant to be complimentary and mutually essential. Together we are mankind. Yet each is unique, not interchangeable, each precious for what they bring to each union.

1. What stands out to you from the above and why? I think the name meanings from Adam to Noah!  I love that!  Never saw it before but it’s beautiful.  I know people could say that you can make anything say anything you want but it makes sense to me that God would proclaim His plan repeatedly and in numerous ways, any way possible that by all means some might be saved.  So I don’t doubt one bit that this name meaning was planned from the beginning.
2. How has God caused you to WONDER recently?  Mostly what I mentioned last week.  Wondering once again at how He can be seen in Creation..but lately my thoughts have also turned to His rapture of the church.  I know so many believe it may occur around the Jewish holidays, especially the feast of trumpets, which will soon be upon us.  I also certainly would not predict a day, but I do think we are told that we can see the signs of the times and I guess even more than that, that we are to LONG for His return and I have longed for that since I was a child.  If creation, itself groans for redemption, it makes sense that His people should, right?  Anyway, lately that has caused me to be filled with awe wonder at what that day will be like and also turned my thoughts toward heaven.  FYI:  I plan to have an open-door policy at my place in heaven, so anyone is welcome to drop by any time. :)

I would love to come and visit you, even if it turns out to be the first time we meet face to face!

:D

Mary e,

I look forward to dropping by some day as well (-:  and like you I long for the Rapture.

A kindred spirit! :)

7.  Gen 4:25 the name Seth was chosen because God had granted or ‘appointed’ to her another son.

8.  Why couldn’t the line of Abel die out? I’ve never considered the line of Abel staying. I’ve always read it as the line going from Adam to Seth and then down.  But maybe because Abel was favored by God, and righteous in His sight for trusting in God’s way of doing things? The name Abel means morning mist, so that was no help!

9.  God did not need to double Job’s children. The first set were safe in heaven.

That’s interesting that Abel means “morning mist.” Obviously God knew his life would be short. Like Hosea 6:4 —

What shall I do with you, Ephraim?

Your love is like the morning mist,

Your faithfulness like the dew that fades away

Mary B made a stab at why the line of Abel could not die out — anyone else brave enough to try? :-)

After reading your reply, it clicked for me that Abel’s line can’t die out because while his body died, he lives on in heaven!

As I went back and read the story of God naming Lily Grace from the 2013 blog I made a delightful connection. Dee,  you told about how God named Barnabas the son of Chad & Deborah.  It turns out my son Tyce and his wife Bethany are good friends of theirs through a home school association. And Barnabas and his younger  brother are close friends of my grandsons.  In fact they have sleep overs for each others birthdays.  Even now as a 12 year old boy Barnabas from my observations still lives up to the meaning of his name as the “encourager”.  And my 12 year old grandson Asher lives up to his as “happy, blessed”.

Oh Bev — we have many sweet connections. Love hearing this.

Names have always held a fascination for me. My sister & I used to plan our families & all their names, since we were little girls! We changed the names every few days…haha :)  My oldest son we named Jacob Michael, after his grandfather (Jewish) & my brother Michael; my daughter Lisa Dorothy ( Dorothy was my husband’s mom who died at 52). My husband chose name Lisa, but didn’t know that it means “consecrated”. So of course I consecrated her to God! Then my youngest son… Jeremy David. Jeremiah means “the Lord is exalted” & I’ve prayed that over him since he was born, that one day he will exalt the Name of the Lord! David is my dad’s name. I think names can be powerful…love the stories you have all shared!

Love it, Jenny — sounds like God planned that!

4. What is the first name given in the genealogy listed in Genesis 5:1?
Adam

5. Read Genesis 3:20-24

Adam named the animals because he had a higher place   with dominion over them.  The connotation of dominion or dominate becomes a negative for us in the English language but the position of dominion brought with it the responsibility of caretaking for the good of the animals.

B. Who named Adam and Eve and what do you think this signifies?
God named Adam and Adam named Eve.  I think the same principle applies to Eve that Adam had a responsibility to care for her and what was for her good.

It means man or mankind.

D. What does the name Eve mean? (See text)

The mother of all living

E. Challenge question: When God created Adam, He knew He was going to create Eve, and what He would name them, so what does this tell you about men and women?

First that names are important and they are personal and significant. We all have names that define who we are and even who we are associated with as with our surnames.

For me it would be domestic animals like the dogs and cats that we have had for pets.  We named them and trained them and cared for them.

D. What does the name Eve mean? (See text)

mother of all living

It was always to be this way. He has always loved us. Maybe He wanted Adam to believe he was really in control? It’s easy to see that if we think we are in control we may forget who really is. Was it because God wanted Adam to have confidence in himself? Maybe He always intended for man to be with woman, not alone? I’m not really sure on this one.

Not really. We have put up birdfeeders over the years, and this year they seem to be more prolific than usual. My mom loved watching birds; I never was much into it. This year I have watched more than I have in the past.  I think I have mentioned the hummingbirds have been amazing! The other day I saw two at one time.  Very sweet.

9. No child can replace a child who has died, for he or she was unique and cherished. I used to grieve for Job, for when God gave him more children at the end, I thought, But oh, that can’t make up for the deaths of children he loved. But there is something wonderful in that account that I hope you can see. And yes, I guess this is another challenge question. If you compare Job 1:3 and Job 42:12, you will see God doubled all the animals he once had. But he did not double the children. Do you know why?   Is it because they are still living, just not on earth?  So he does have double the kids now, in heaven?

You got it, Mary! :-)

10.  Enosh means mortal man.  The first meaning in my Strong’s said man, mortal, with an emphasis on frailty.  Kenan comes from a Hebrew word meaning sorrow, dirge, lament, mourning song. Num 24:20 is Balaam’s prophecy against the Kenites (Kenan) and says they will be destroyed, burned, consumed, taken captive. All these things would lead to sorrow, dirges, laments, and mourning songs.

11.  The bad news of the gospel is that we are mortal, dying. We are frail and prone to sorrow. This frailty is not like delicate fragile, but like flawed and sinful, unable to manage life on our own.

12.  We need to know this so that when God reaches out to us, we reach back to Him. In the medical world, acute pain is a friend because it tells you something is wrong. Otherwise, you would leave your hand on the hot stove. Emotional or spiritual pain is likewise a red light on the dashboard of our life. It encourages us to find out from the Mechanic, the Maker, what is wrong, and submit ourselves to Him for fixing it.

I hate it that I am more concerned about avoiding pain than I am about being right with God. Job 36:21 says…beware of turning to evil, which you seem to prefer to affliction. O Lord, turn my heart more and more to wanting You more than wanting to be pain free!

Mary — I think we all struggle with that — may the Lord help us all!

My God sighting..Okay so I am going to say this here. I have been doing women’s bible studies for years, well over 20 and I have just started one the other night in our women’s group-and it is a really good one. I have done some that were amazing but Dee’s are by far the deepest most Spirit inspired and Gospel centered I have come across and I am not just saying that because I work for her.  ;-) I have had to check myself to be sure I am not having an idol issue-;-) It is a combination of Dee allowing His Spirit to lead her, her gifted-ness, and her amazing gift of asking really good questions that causes me to ponder! I guess I get as excited about her as she does about Keller. :) :) And SO excited for her next book. These past two weeks I have been busy from sun up to sun down and around people most of it, and the time I spend with Him is memorizing as I go and praying but I just need a quiet space of time with Him! I am so thankful for this blog!

Rebecca — you are always such an encouragement to me.  I do covet your prayers so for my writing. I love how you want to go deep — and praying that for the body of Chris t– especially in our wealthy western world.

I guess God had Adam name the animals cause they were under his dominion, & he had freedom to do that & enjoy it?

I think that God naming Adam (man) & Eve (woman, taken from man) signifies that He alone knew their purpose & calling? Eve means “life spring” & I love that. May I be a life spring as mother to my 3 kids!!

I’m assuming that God naming Man & Woman shows that God made them different & unique, & to complement each other. It seems so obvious to me, that we were made different for a reason!!!! :)

Funny story about exercising dominion over animals….there was a bat in our house clinging to the side of a plant stand & I was terrified! I prayed & put on gardening gloves, & finally got courage to prop open the door & carry the stand outside at arm’s length…praying for him not to fly till he got outside! Praise God he sat still & then I ran inside & he flew away!  Haha…it was so scary but liberating!  :)

You were very brave, Jenny! Oh!

oh Jenny! I don’t know what I would do with a bat in my house! I would freeze in panic! Now I’ll just call on you! great example of faith over fear, right ?!

7. Why did Eve choose the name Seth according to the text of Genesis 4:25?

The name basically means “a replacement” because she no longer has Abel.

8. Challenge Question: Why couldn’t the line of Abel die out?

Not sure here at all. Is it that Jesus comes from this line? But if Abel died wouldn’t the line die as well?

I’ve thought the same thing about the loss of his children. I’m not sure why the children weren’t doubled. Is it because God didn’t want Job to be so busy that he forgot his first children?

You make me smile!

Mary got it above!

10. What does the name Enosh mean?

Man, mankind, an individual.

I suppose it means we are all fallen until we are saved by the Savior.

12. Comment on the above.

The word sorrow has quite the emotion in it. I am in the midst of sorrow right now. It is a dull ache that lingers  in the background as you try to go on days after day. I have come to realize that my daughter has not only left us to find her own way, but she has literally pushed us out of her life. She is no longer using the cell phone we provide and I believe she has a new one that we don’t have a number for to reach her. If it weren’t for Facebook (she is still friends with us), we might not know anything at all about her wellbeing. This is great pain in my heart. This is sorrow.

I suppose having the grandchildren with us is the good in our lives now, but it hardly covers the sorrow of losing your daughter. Plus, my daughter has a very long way to go to ever make heaven. She is a believer, but she doesn’t practice, and thinks she can do anything she wants and still have a way to get there (I can’t imagine the same for me as Job – his children alive in heaven). No, no real good in my life right now. I am running to Him but am totally ignored as far as I can tell. In the depth of a huge wave and have been there a very long while. We are distracted with a totally crazy busy life which makes us temporarily forget the situation with Sarah (I suppose that may be a good thing that God has provided? – yay.). But oh the sorrow! As I write, I do realize that little things that occur to help us do happen that make our situation better, so maybe that is Him trying to appease us in this awful life? Babysitters that have stepped up, temporary custody, no problem, work seems easy (that doesn’t ever happen in teaching), and so on. I will wait.

Laura, I can’t take away your pain, but I feel for you.

Last night in our small group we were talking about Josh 4, where they cross the Jordan into the promised land. Someone brought up about how it mentions that the river was at flood stage. Then we discussed that had it just been a trickle, the people would have crossed over in their own strength, the enemy wouldn’t have been shaking in their boots, and God would have been denied glory.  Then that led into how God brings flood waters in our lives for all the same reasons, and how He calls us to continue following after Him even when there doesn’t seem to be a way or a reason or any explanation.

Lord, I lift up Laura before You today. She has gotten her feet wet in obedience to You. Please pile up these waters some distance away so that she can see Your path for her clearly. Wrap Your arms around her, giving her a sense of Your presence and Your love. Help her to keep on keeping on, not in her own strength, but with the power of Your resurrection within her.

Laura–agreeing with Mary B in praying for you today–I am so sorry sweet sister, I wish I could be there and help encourage you with your heavy burdens. Praying today God will surprise you in some way, remind you He sees you, He hears and He is always at work. He is pleased by your faithfulness to your grandchildren, your children–your steadfast faith. I know you must be so weary, praying for His comfort today~

Mary, thank you for that lovely prayer.

Laura, my heart aches for you. The Lord has not forsaken you. He is right there with you. Show yourself to her, Lord, that she might have courage to go on. Help her to know that you are a loving God of grace. We do not deserve your wonderful love; it is not anything we can earn by our good deeds.

Agreeing with all our sisters in prayer for you, Laura. May He comfort You as only He can in the midst of this real sorrow.

Laura, I am sad for you over Sarah. It is sometimes hard to understand God’s ways-not so how we want them to be. Asking the Holy Spirit to guide my prayers for you as I can’t find words to do so. Glad He can groan for me, for you and get into the very marrow of our soul.

4. What is the first name given in the genealogy listed in Genesis 5:1?

Adam

5. A. Who named the animals and what do you think this signifies? (Hint: Genesis 1:26)

Adam named the animals, signifying his dominion over them

B. Who named Adam and Eve and what do you think this signifies?

God named Adam, Adam gave Eve her name, but I’m thinking he was led by God, especially being pre-fall.

C. What does the name Adam mean?

man

D. What does the name Eve mean? (See text)

“mother of all the living”, for some reason it struck me just now–it is not saying the giver of life, but the mother of the living, I like that.

E. Challenge question: When God created Adam, He knew He was going to create Eve, and what He would name them, so what does this tell you about men and women?

God planned on distinct roles for man and woman–equally significant, but clearly different, and yet, “complementary” :)

This summer we had to put down our 15 year old Labrador–sweetest dog I have ever known (and I’ve never lived 4 years without a dog!). It was hard and yet, there was a certain peace, a reminder that as great as she was, she wasn’t created in God’s image, and we were given by God the authority to make that decision. God was also gracious to have 3 vets review and all say the same thing, that helped!

7. Why did Eve choose the name Seth according to the text of Genesis 4:25?

“God appointed”

8. Challenge Question: Why couldn’t the line of Abel die out?

OK, I know this isn’t the answer, but I like that it first says about Abel “Abel was a keeper of sheep”–like Christ is our Shepherd. I’ll start digging on the answer now!

ok–a few more rough thoughts on #8–Abel offered the sacrifice pleasing to the Lord, showing a heart of true worship, a true Believer. Abel’s death as an innocent man–foreshadow of Christ’s death-?

Hebrews 11:4 By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain, through which he was commended as righteous, God commending him by accepting his gifts. And through his faith, though he died, he still speaks.

9. If you compare Job 1:3 and Job 42:12, you will see God doubled all the animals he once had. But he did not double the children. Do you know why?

I do love this because it proves the uniqueness of humans–we can’t be “replaced” and yet as Mary said, as Believers we live on for eternity. We had dogs all my life growing up, and I’ve always said, when you loose a dog, really the best way to get over it is to get another. I know plenty don’t agree with that, and definitely my last Lab was like no other, but you can get over animals. People though–no. I get tears every single time I have a Mimi memory, which is just about daily, and it’s been 20 years. But I have no doubt I will be with her again, and so look forward to that.

Oh Lizzy — I so agree with your dog story — been there! The first time we put a dog to sleep I couldn’t bear to be there (selfish) and when the vet called to say they had Darling’s body for me, Sally (who was 4) saw me slide down the wall to the floor in grief. She said it “seared” her heart and she never forgot it. :-)

Okay — I’m going to explain why I think the line of Abel could not die out. He was the godly line from whom Christ was to come.

Isn’t the line of Seth the line of Christ?

Yet it is. Abel would have been but because he was murdered before he had children,God appointed Seth to take his place.

It is always with delight to just follow the conversations here even when I can not participate fully. I am awed by how the names in the OT continue a thread of Jesus’ story. What a tapestry and as such, the end product is a beauty to behold and never fails to catch my breath. I find my emotions so happily fragile (is there such a thing?) these days when God-things come in focus. And that is despite the “sorrow” this earthly life brings-aches and pains, troubled world, shattered lives, losses, etc.

And talking about names…I was named after my parents, Ernesto and Emma. They took my Dad’s first 4 letters “Erne” and my Mom’s last 2 letters “ma” and put them together! I have googled my name before but there was no hit!  So I do have a unique, unique name. LOL In so many ways, I am like both of them.

Our daughter, Ruth Ann was named so after Ruth of the Bible as when Richard and I got married, our verse was Ruth 1:16b-17 Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely,if even death separates you and me.” The last verse really resonates with me as I have chosen a burial plot here next to my husband’s. It is here in the U.S. and not in the Philippines where I was born.

How fun to hear the story of your name Ernema! How about your nickname, Bing? How did you get that?

Dee, Bing is actually just an endearment that morphed from Baby to Bing-how I don’t know. It is also a kind of identifying first part of a name since there are 3 of us Bing among the cousins and we are all the eldest among our siblings! So when our extended family gathered, they  needed to say, “Bing Ernema or Bing MaryLou or Bing Marivic.” Interestingly, there are no more Bings by the 4th generation in our families. Makes us so special. Smile.

Fun, Bing Ernema!

Saturday:
14. What is your take-a-way from this week and why?
When God appoints something and it is not to our liking, we must remember this truth, that He is good. And He appoints it for our good. I think of Isaiah 55. For His ways are not our ways and His thoughts, not our thoughts.

I need to be reined back into dependence on Jesus and not  stay in self sufficiency and one way He does it is to bring “sorrow” to my life.

13.  A God sighting from when He has brought sorrow into my life for good.  I hesitate to share this, afraid I’ll hurt someone, which is surely not my intent.  Before my two children, I had three miscarriages. It was incredibly painful emotionally and spiritually. About ten years later, I met a woman born to missionary parents. Her parents had prayed with each pregnancy that if this child were not going to serve God, then please take them. They buried five out of their ten children.  The remaining five all serve God. I felt God telling me that my babies were safe with Him, instead of being lost. It continues to bring me great comfort.

14.  Take away. Everything with God is not only not wasted, but is extremely important. The meaning of the names, even to the ordering of the generations to come up with the gospel message! What I do with my time and attitude matters for eternity. I don’t just waste minutes, I lose irreplaceable opportunities.

thank you, Dee for this week.  It has particularly touched me.

That’s a fascinating story! Much to ponder.

14. What is your take-a-way from this week and why? I loved reading everyone’s name stories and their God sightings. My take away is just the sense of bonding that I feel with all of the women here and I pray for each of you.

Awwww, Dawn. Love this.