We are continuing our review of our summer of God sightings,
so that we will not forget God’s benefits,
and so we can tell them to our children,
and to our children’s children.
We do not want to be like the Israelites who forgot His works,
and the wonders that He had shown them.
We began, this summer, by going on a God hunt.
With the help of the psalms,
and some of the ways the Mains helped us to see God,
let us continue our review of the summer.
Perhaps you will be with family or friends this holiday weekend.
I challenge you to tell them about a God sighting!
Sunday: 9/3: Bless the Lord, O My Soul
Prepare your heart for the week with this:
1. Have you told anyone about a God Sighting from this summer? If so, tell us about it.
2. How did God meet you in church today?
Labor Day: 9/4: Dwelling together in unity
Whenever there is a problem in a horizontal relationship, there is usually a problem in our vertical relationship with God, But when that is good, oh, how it can change our relationships with one another. When we see this happening, truly, this is a God sighting. How I felt that this summer as all my children visited. Stomping my control idol and allowing God to be in control has brought so much more harmony between me and my children and therefore my children and also my children’s children. Here are two of my daughter’s daughter exalting in creation, summer, and being together at my home.3. Read Psalm 133
A. To what does the psalmist compare brothers dwelling together in unity?
B. Comment on what this metaphor means to you.
4. Share a time of enjoying the fruit of peace due to growth in the Lord that you had this summer.
5. Share a time of sweet fellowship that felt like the soothing of oil.
Tuesday, 9/5: If it had not been for the Lord
God does not promise us a life free of storms, but rather, to be with us in the storms.
6. Read Psalm 124
A. What do you learn about this life and our help from this psalm?
B. What our some of the metaphors from this psalm that resonate with you?
WEDNESDAY, 9/6: BECAUSE HE BENDS DOWN TO LISTEN
I love the following parphrase of Psalm 116:1. I remember it was in a card a seeker to one of my Bible studies sent me after my daughter Sally was born. In that seeker’s group I had told them that I had asked God, if this time, He might give me a girl with a heart tender toward him who looked like my husband. I also prayed she would be born on April 27th, as it was the only day when Steve would be free to be with me. When God answered that prayer, not only I, but my whole seeker’s group, was in awe.
8. Read Psalm 116:1-2 and explain why, here, the psalmist is thankful.
9. Share an answer to prayer you had this summer.
10. Sometimes His answers are rescues from circumstances, but perhaps more often, rescues from our own sinful ways. Can you share an answer like that?
11. Share the answer to 10 with someone this week and report.
THURSDAY, 9/7: YOU HAVE DELIVERED MY EYES FROM TEARS
I chose this image because it is in another language (I don’t even know what it is), but I love to think how God moves throughout the earth, to every tribe and nation, delivering from death, snares, and tears.
12. Read Psalm 116:3-9
A. From what did the Lord deliver the psalmist according to verse 3, and what, according to verse 7 should be his response?
B. From what did the Lord deliver the psalmist according to verse 8, and what, according to verse 9, should be his response?
13. Have you faced grief this summer? Is the Lord helping you through it? Explain.
FRIDAY, 9/8: EXPERIENCING HIS PRESENCE
He blesses us with His gifts, but nothing compares to His presence. That is what the psalmist longs for in my favorite psalm, Psalm 42. But if you are in a time of feeling more of His absence, I love what Keller says: “the sense of His absence means you have known His presence.”
14. Have you experienced the sense of His presence this summer? If so, share.
15. If you were with us in July when we looked at The Song, how did the Shulammite experience both His absence and His presence?
16. Share two God sightings from this summer that you do not want to forget!