SOME WOMEN WILL STAY HOME FROM CHURCH TODAY,
FOR THEY ALREADY HAVE A KNIFE IN THEIR HEART.
THEY DON’T WANT TO SENSE THE EYES OF OTHERS UPON THEM,
OR TO BE HANDED A ROSE AS THEY LEAVE BECAUSE THEY ARE A WOMAN,
KNOWING THOSE ROSES WERE REALLY INTENDED FOR MOTHERS.
THAT ONLY PUSHES THE KNIFE FURTHER IN.
THEIR FRIENDS CARRY BABIES IN THEIR WOMBS OR IN THEIR ARMS,
WHILE THEY FEEL SO EMPTY.
WHY DOES GOD GIVE SO FREELY TO SOME WOMEN AND WITHHOLD FROM OTHERS?
OTHER MOTHERS ARE IN PRISON, FEELING LIKE FAILURES AS MOTHERS, REMEMBERING WHEN THEY HAD TO SAY GOOD-BYE
TO A CHILD WHO WAS ANGRY WITH THEM AND ANGRY WITH GOD.
THOSE MOTHERS ARE ANGRY WITH THEMSELVES,
ANXIOUS TO RETURN TO THEIR CHILDREN,
ANXIOUS ABOUT THEIR CHILDREN’S EMOTIONAL,
PHYSICAL, AND SPIRITUAL STATE.
SOME HAVE NOT SEEN OR HEARD FROM THEIR CHILDREN IN YEARS,
AND WONDER IF THEY WILL EVER BE TRULY RECONCILED TO THEM.`
THEY HAVE REPENTED, WALKED IN THE LIGHT, PRAYED FERVENTLY…
AND YET THERE MAY BE NO MOTHER’S DAY CARDS IN THE MAIL,
AND THE PAROLE THEY HOPED FOR MAY BE DENIED.
HOW EASILY THEY BELIEVE THE LIE THAT GOD DOESN’T LOVE THEM.
OTHER MOTHERS HAVE LOST A CHILD AND FEEL LIKE NAOMI,
WHO LOST HUSBAND AND HER TWO ONLY SONS AND KEPT SAYING,
“I AM EMPTY… MY GOD HAS DEALT SEVERELY WITH ME.”
THEIR DREAMS ARE SHATTERED
AND THEIR HEARTS ARE GRIEVING.
SO THIS WEEK’S STUDY IS FOR WOMEN IN PAIN ON MOTHER’S DAY,
WHATEVER THE REASON FOR THEIR PAIN.
IT IS ALSO FOR US WHO WANT TO COME ALONGSIDE AND LOVE THEM
AND THROUGH SINCERE LOVE.
AND THOUGH WE FINISHED OUR STUDY ON THE TRINITY, I AM GOING TO GIVE YOU ONE MORE TALK FROM MIKE REEVES ON THE TRINITY,
FOR THERE IS ENORMOUS COMFORT IN IT,
A COMFORT WE ALL NEED,
BUT PARTICULARLY THOSE
WHO ARE WONDERING IF JESUS REALLY LOVES THEM.
SUNDAY, Mother’s Day, 2017
1. What stands out to you from the above and why?
2. Pray for a woman you know who will be experiencing pain today.
3. If you can identify with Mother’s Day being painful, share why. What truth might you tell your soul instead of listening to your soul?
Our own Chris, who has been with us again through our study on the Trinity, experienced the unfathomable pain of having her beloved son murdered. Yet she is a fountain of wisdom that comes from this woman who has been through the fire and come forth as gold. As she says, in the opening of this interview, before this happened, “my knowledge of God had been enough.” But no longer was it enough, she had to press into Him to survive. I am eager for you to listen to this short testimony — especially those of you who have not seen this before. But it is a treasure worth seeing again. Watch it and share your comments.
4. Share your notes or comments on the above.
Tuesday-Wednesday Bible Study: Does Jesus Really Love Me?
We have done this passage before, but do it again — and then hear Reeves preach on it. And I know one of the reasons I keep taking you back to 1 John too is because in memorizing it, I have seen more of the love of God.
5. Read John 17:20-26
A. Reeves says “We are listening in on a prayer between members of the Trinity — and this prayer is for us!” What is the first request Jesus makes in verse 21 and what do you see in this verse that you might have seen before?
B. What kind of glory are we given according to verse 22?
C. What kind of love do we already have according to verse 23?
D. What does Jesus ask for us in verse 24?
E. How does He close His prayer in verse 26?
6. When our dreams are shattered, why is it never because God is punishing us?
7. When I memorized 1 John 4:14 I was suddenly brought to tears for I thought: This is the apostle John writing, who stood at the foot of the cross, watching Jesus crucified. No wonder he can say this so adamantly. What does he say, and how can this realization help us know and to trust the love of God no matter the pain life brings?
8. Challenge question: How did Ruth help Naomi in her pain? What didn’t she do? What did she do?
Thursday-Friday: Final Sermon on the Trinity: This Changes Everything
9. Share your notes and comments on Mike Reeve’s message.
10. What is your take-a-way and why?