JOIN US IN A SHORT SERIES ON THE TRINITY!
IN THE FREE SERMON THIS WEEK, TIM KELLER ASKS:
DO YOU JUST BELIEVE IN GOD, OR ARE YOU IN THE DANCE?
C. S. LEWIS, MIKE REEVES, TIM KELLER — AND MANY ANCIENT CHURCH
FATHERS COMPARED THE TRINITY TO A DANCE.
THEY HAD A NAME FOR IT:
C. S. LEWIS WROTE:
GOD IS A DYNAMIC PULSATING ACTIVITY, A DRAMA,
ALMOST, IF YOU NOT THINK ME IRREVERANT, A DANCE
WHEN JOHN WROTE HIS FIRST LETTER, HE SPOKE OF THE JOY OF
THIS “DANCE,” THIS “FELLOWSHIP,” SAYING,
“And indeed, our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son, Jesus Christ!”
You see, the Spirit reveals to us the true identity of the Son,
and when we respond to Him, we become children of God
and then join into the dance with the Trinity!
KELLER SAYS IF YOU ARE JUST A BELIEVER, BUT HAVE NOT ENTERED INTO THE DANCE, YOU GO TO GOD WHEN YOU NEED SOMETHING, BUT YOU ARE STILL ORBITING AROUND YOURSELF.
BUT WHEN YOU TRULY SURRENDER TO THE DANCE,
YOU ORBIT AROUND GOD.
HOW I REMEMBER MY FEAR IN SURRENDERING TO GOD IN SALVATION, AND YET, MY FEAR OF NOT SURRENDERING WAS GREATER.
SO IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN SURRENDER LED TO A DANCE!
IN THE SAME WAY, JUST WE TRUSTED CHRIST TO SAVE US,
WE MUST SURRENDER TO HIM BY FAITH ON A DAILY BASIS.
(MY PARAPHRASE OF COLOSSIANS 2:6!)
WATCH THIS CLIP FROM MISS POTTER, AND IMAGINE THAT IT IS JESUS WOOING YOU, ASKING YOU TO
GIVE THE UTMOST FEAR A CHANCE,
AND LET ME TEACH YOU HOW TO DANCE.
(I don’t know what language the sub-titles are, but I bet one of you does!)
I’m so thankful you are joining us! This will be a three or fourweek series with shorter lessons than I have done in the past. There will be a free sermon each week from either Tim Keller or Mike Reeves. Understanding the Trinity can bring you into deeper intimacy with God, can “teach you how to dance!”
1. What stood out to you from the above and why?
MONDAY-WEDNESDAY BIBLE STUDY
2. John 1 tells us that Jesus is the Word, and that He was with God in the beginning creating the world, speaking the world into being. With that in mind, how do you see each person of the Trinity in Genesis 1:1-2?
Tim Keller says the Trinity is involved both in creation and in re-creation. He, and Mike Reeve say that we should look in the New Testament to the baptism of Jesus to see the Trinity. You can also glimpse “the dance.”
3. Read Mark 1:9-11 and identify each person of the Trinity.
4. Read Mark 1:12-13 and describe the temptation and trials this “2nd Adam” faced. How was this greater than the temptation the 1st Adam faced?
5. Read Matthew 3:13-17
A. How did John the Baptist respond to Jesus’ request?
B. What did Jesus tell John? And how did John “surrender?”
C. How do you see Jesus surrendering to the Father in love here?
D. How do you see the dance of the Holy Spirit here?
E. How do you see the love of the Father for the Son here?
6. How would you answer Keller’s question: “Do you just believe in God or have you surrendered to the dance?”
9. How can you respond to that challenge today?
10. If you experience “the dance” this week, share how.
11. Share your notes and comments from the sermon by Tim Keller.
12. What is your take-a-way and why?