HE IS RISEN INDEED!

THE EARLY CHRISTIANS WOULD GREET EACH OTHER LIKE THIS:

VITAL TO THE CHRISTIAN FAITH IS THE UNDERSTANDING

THAT CHRIST HAD COME IN THE FLESH (THE INCARNATION)

AND RISEN IN THE FLESH,

FOR SOON THE SPIRIT OF FALSEHOOD

WOULD ARISE FROM THE FATHER OF LIES

THAT JESUS WAS NOT DIVINE, BUT JUST A MAN LIKE US;

THAT HE WAS NOT GOD IN THE FLESH,

AND THAT HE HAD NOT RISEN IN THE FLESH.

BUT THE WORD BECOME FLESH (JESUS)

MADE IT ABUNDANTLY CLEAR,

WITH HIS MANY APPEARANCES AFTER THE RESURRECTION,

TO MANY DIFFERENT INDIVIDUALS AND GROUPS,

ALLOWING THEM TO SEE, HEAR, AND TOUCH HIM.

THE INCREDULITY OF ST THOMAS: CARAVAGGIO

HE HAD RISEN IN THE FLESH INDEED.

“TOUCH ME AND SEE” HE SAID,

“FOR A SPIRIT HAS NOT FLESH AND BONES AS YOU SEE THAT I HAVE.”

TIM KELLER EXPLAINS THAT ALL THE WORLD RELIGIONS HAD A FOUNDER WHO HAD A PRIVATE REVELATION, BUT NOT CHRISTIANITY. JESUS APPEARED PUBLICLY, REVEALED HIMSELF PUBLICLY, TO MANY EYE WITNESSES WHO COULD TESTIFY TO THE TRUTH.

I HAVE LOVED HOW 1 JOHN BEGINS:

That which was from the beginning,

which we have heard,

which we have seen with our eyes,

which we have looked upon and our hands have touched…

Likewise 1 Peter 2:16-17 (TLB)  says:

For we have not been telling you fairy tales when we explained to you the power of our Lord Jesus Christ and his coming again.

My own eyes have seen his splendor and his glory…

I, like so many of you, have people I love who do not believe Jesus has come in the flesh. And now, at least in the western world, we are living in a “post-Christian” culture where true believers are increasingly hated. As hatred and persecution rises, will we remain with the truth?

If we do, despite losses we will experience, it is a powerful testimony.

It is also vital to showing our faith is genuine.

John  says: “He who denies the Son does not have the Father.”

So many today say they believe in God, yet they balk at the One who said “I am the way, the truth, and the life, No one comes to the Father but by me.”

The Mormons, the Jehovah Witnesses, the Unitarians all balk that Jesus is fully God. And many mainline denominations are also losing their grasp on the truth.

Only the Spirit of truth can open the eyes of the blind,

as He did for those after the resurrection.

SO FOR THIS WE MUST PRAY:

LORD, OPEN OUR EYES THAT WE MAY SEE, THAT WE MAY REMAIN TRUE.

AND LORD OPEN THE EYES OF ________________THAT HE (OR SHE) MAY SEE.

THIS GLORIOUS WEEK WE WILL LOOK AT LUKE 24,

PARTICULARLY CONCENTRATING ON THE CLOSE,

AND THEN HEAR A WONDERFUL FREE SERMON BY KELLER ON THE SAME. THIS IS THE OLD OLD STORY THAT IS EVER NEW.

RESURRECTION SUNDAY, 2017!

1. What stood out to you from the above and why?

MONDAY-WEDNESDAY BIBLE STUDY:

3. Read Luke 24:1-12

A. “Early dawn,” meant “as soon as it was light enough to see.” What does this tell you about the hearts of the women?

B. What promise of Jesus were the women reminded of in Luke 24:6-7?

C. The “third day” was associated with redemption to the Israelites. Abraham saw the lamb on the third day. Jonah was delivered from the belly of the fish on the third day. See if you can find another example.

E. What stands out to you from this passage and why?

2. Read Luke 24:13-35 (I love this passage so much I’ve had us do it on many Easter weeks, so this year I just want you to share what stands out to you and why. (Make it good!)

4. Read Luke 24:38-43

B.  What do you think the phrase “disbelieved for joy” means?

C. Why did he eat fish? Why is this important doctrinally?

5. Read Luke 24:44-49

A. What three parts of the Jewish Scriptures does Jesus mention in verse 44?

Darrell Bock explains that both Luke 24:27 and Luke 24:44 show that He was showing them that He and His Gospel were in all the Scriptures “from front to back.” The three types mentioned in verse 44 would represent all the historical books (Genesis through Esther), all the poetical books (Job through the Song of Songs) and all the prophetical books (Isiah through Malachi.)

His gospel? (Try not to repeat what others have found!)

C. According to Luke 46-47, what three things did Jesus say would happen? What two had already happened?

D. What were they to do before the third part could be fulfilled, according to verse 49?

6. Read Luke 24:50-53 and describe what happened.

7. Do you see any fulfillment of Isaiah 53 in Luke 24? If so, explain.

THURSDAY-FRIDAY FREE KELLER SERMON

A Spirit Hath Not Flesh and Bones

8. Share your comments and notes on the above.

SATURDAY

9. What is your take-a-way and why?

Happy Easter, everyone. Christ is risen indeed! Hope you all have had a blessed day.

I woke up stuffed up, sneezing, etc. and feeling awful. I had a houseful of people and just didn’t think I could do Easter breakfast and church. I tried to figure out what to do and was seriously thinking about staying home. But I got up and got some herbal tea and started praying. God reminded me to praise him in all circumstances and prayed to Jesus to help me in to honor him today in my circumstances. Moments later I felt much better, like my head cleared. I was able to get ready and go – for breakfast, worship, singing with the choir and teach the children during the sermon. I don’t know how or why HE did it. I still have a cold, but the day has been good!

Great answer to prayer, Diane!!!

Wow, Diane!  I love it that He helped you to get through the day, yesterday in a way that glorified Him!  Praising Him with you!

Diane, so glad the Lord provided so you can go! Jesus in you giving you exactly what you needed.

Happy Easter, everyone! Up from the grave He arose! Hallelujah Christ arose!
“Lord, open our eyes that we may remain true.” The everyday between here and eternity mundane, ordinary happenings can sometimes bog me down. I trickle into the slow go thru d mo way of living. boy, did the Lord wake me up through a non-functioning water pump at the farm. We woke up early and got ready for church to fix breakfast before the earliest service and found just enough water for one shower. Eeekkk…what to do what to do? My hair, where am I going to wash my hair and take a shower-one night when I decided to wait till morning and no water. We hurried and told my husband it was time for a shampoo over the kitchen sink at church and a spit bath in one of the bathrooms. We laughed as we drove to church and started singing He is risen, indeed! and I thought, Lord, you do have a funny sense of humor. But I will take it for after all, the greatest gift ever I have already received and no hair fiasco can take that away. Breakfast was wonderful fellowship and church was sweet.

Another victory over the enemy.

=)  Love this, Bing!

Bing–I just LOVE your heart and spirit–you have no idea how many times you bring a smile to my face here! blessed by you : )

I came back late last night from all my travels to see my children and had a glorious Easter service. We sang my favorite hymns and Pastor Doug gave such a good sermon. I learned new things that took my breath away. Our pastor pointed out that the clearing of the temple and Christ’s saying the sign they would have would be to destroy this temple and He would raise it up in three days was at the beginning of John like sometimes a movie shows the end of the movie like a flashback at the beginning. (In the other gospels this is at the end) Then he explained this sign would follow John’s 7 signs (7 the number of perfection) but this 8th sign would be the sign of all signs.

My eldest son and daughter-in-law came so that was sweet too.

Praying each of you have a blessed day experiencing Him!

Happy Easter everyone! He has risen! He has risen indeed!

1. What stood out to you from the above and why?

“As hatred and persecution rises, will we remain with the truth?”

I have felt this from (unfortunately) a close family member lately and it makes me very sad.

My dancing friend and I danced in church with the choir this morning. She is the friend who has struggled half her life with anorexia and has spent many days in the hospital. We have been rehearsing  and the piece was fast and difficult. I have worried for her health during our rehearsals as well as my old bones being able to keep up! This morning when I woke up I was startled when I realized nothing on my body ached! Not my knee, my hip, my old broken toe, nothing hurt! It was later that I realized I believe it was a gift from Him, to let me know that it would all be perfect, and it was! It was joyful and many commented on how it moved them. That is sweet.

Laura–love how He blessed your dancing on Easter–what a beautiful gift that is that you are able to give, not just to others, but to Him–I imagine how much He must smile to watch you dance for His glory!

Wish we could have all seen it, Laura!

I know, Mary 😔. Believe it or not, it is difficult to video and sometimes more difficult to upload due to size. We had a shortage of folks to help out this time.

Laura — one more story of victory over the enemy! So glad.

1. What stood out to you from the above and why?    The clarity of why we must believe that Jesus first came to us in the flesh…..being fully human yet fully divine so it follows clearly that we must believe also that he truly died in the flesh and truly was risen in the flesh.  Sometimes, even after ALL these years, I can compartmentalize and know all of these truths but when I see them all together in one paragraph, it sinks in all at once.
2. After you celebrate with your local body of believers, come and tell us one way, if it happened, that the Lord quickened you, as He did for those on the road to Emmaus.   The past two Easters, we have had baptisms on Easter morning.  I was raised in a tradition of infant baptism, then for many, many years was in a church where baptism was only practiced for older children and adults and for the past decade or so, was held outdoors in an almost ‘party like’ atmosphere….picnic to follow, so the smell of hotdogs and hamburgers cooking etc. I couldn’t really mesh the sacramental meaning I knew growing up and the casual manner I was seeing happening.  It was hard for me to fully engage.  What quickened me today was regarding the way our new church practices baptism on Easter morning.  I believe that in the early church it was common to have people baptized on resurrection Sunday and that it was an initiation into the life of the Church.   I also  feel like the practice we’ve observed in the past two years, has been a beautiful blending of holiness….acknowledging the sacred nature of being baptized into Christ… and also enjoying the celebration of Easter morning.  What quickens me is to recognize once again how inextricably we are united to believers of all centuries….and even though there are many practices, God knows our hearts truly and He unites us in the truth of the Word….Himself.

And also, the words of the song…..’death in vain, forbids Him rise’!  That always quickens me!!

I too love that lyric. Love the tradition of baptisms on Easter Sunday.

Baptisms on Easter Sunday would be wonderful, Wanda!  Symbolizing His death, burial, and resurrection on that day…perfect.

Strained family relationships have left me sad and lonely this Easter night.  After the Resurrection, many of the disciples went on to be martyred, and bad things still happen to Christians all over the world and in our country.  My Lord, and my God!  Come into my impossible situations and show me Your hands and Your feet, wounded for me.  Let my heart burn with Your Words to my broken heart.  Infuse me with the hope, the expectation, that the gloomiest night must give way to the brightest day when I bask in your presence, unmindful of my present circumstances, for then I will know that true joy does come in the morning!  Oh, to be satisfied when I awake with You!

Miriam, I understand what you say when you speak of “…strained family relationships;” oh have I a dysfunctional family. It is sad. I am praying for both of us now. Take care sister!

Miriam, So love your heart and your honesty. Praying with you.

So sorry, Miriam — and Amen to your prayer.

oh Miriam–the ache of strained family relationships is one I know too well and there is nothing quite like that pain–I am so so sorry. Praying now that He will come into your “impossible situations” and do what only He can do, and bring peace that passes our understanding, and deep healing and restoration.

What a beautiful, heart-felt prayer, Miriam.  Praying in agreement with it right now.

I too am thinking of you, Miriam.   I saw your note last night and you were on my heart when I went to bed.   Even though I enjoyed my time with the kids of ours, who were able to come for Easter lunch….my heart was sad that not any of them had been to an Easter worship service.  2 of our 4 children and their spouses do not go to church at all   Many years ago, I was stunned to have to come to the realization that they were ‘Christmas and Easter only attenders’ and now, it is not even that.  My oldest may have gone to church, except that he has worked every Easter for a dozen years now.  (serving Easter brunch)  For us, being together is ‘fun’  but there is rarely any ‘meat’ to our conversations on these days as everyone carefully talks around any matters of faith.  By evening, I also felt sorrow for this constant strain.   And you mentioned the hardships around our country and world.  I so feel that weight.  I stayed away from reading-listening to news all through Holy Week as it can so easily distract me and weigh me down.   Sometimes, just praying the Lord’s Prayer puts life back in perspective.  I just read it in Sally Lloyd Jones’  ‘Jesus Storybook Bible’   There is something so beautiful about it’s depth and simplicity.    ‘Your kingdom come.’   ‘Your will be done’.   Bless you, Miriam….I hope you feel His peace in unexpected ways today.

Wanda, I experience the longing so many times during family gatherings for “meat” to our conversations. Yes, we enjoy being together and often have fun, but often there is some tension and strain. Isn’t it sad that even among our families, masks are often worn, and real, genuine feelings never expressed? What are we all so afraid of?

Miriam…“that the gloomiest night must five way to the brightest day… True joy comes in the morning. Oh to be satisfied when I awake with you.” Poignant words. Praying for you as you have prayed.

3. Read Luke 24:1-12

These women were not sleeping! They were concerned about the situation and wanted to make sure all was well with the body of Jesus.

B. Why promise of Jesus were the women reminded of in Luke 24:6-7?

His promise was that He would be crucified and then rise from the grave on the third day.

One of of my favorite contemporary music groups is called Third Day 😬….just kidding!

“and be ready for the third day. For on the third day the Lord will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭19:11‬ ‭ESV‬‬

People didn’t really believe the women. They thought they were crazy.

E. What stands out to you from this passage and why?

A couple of things stand out to me. First, the women were visited by angels! I would have freaked out in the early morning (not being fully awake, I’m guessing), and then having these “dazzling” figures visit? That would have been something! I can see why some wouldn’t believe them either. The second thing is how “…Peter marveled…” when he went to confirm what the women said. It’s as if they had to have a man to say it was true before they would believe! I’ve always thought it was cool that the women were documented present at the events leading up to the crucifiction as well as those events after.

Good third day Scripture. And yes, Third Day music group!

1. What stood out to you from the above and why?
So glad that this old story is ever new for my life like everyone here tends to be full of daily trials!  This reminds me of one of my favorite Hymns: Though satan should buffet, though trials should come let this blest assurance control. That Christ has regarded my helpless estate and hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Was just listening to that song on Youtube the other day, Rebecca…love that line also!  He has regarded our helpless estate.

3. Read Luke 24:1-12
That He was their life-that they passionately loved Him above anyone or anything else.

B. Why promise of Jesus were the women reminded of in Luke 24:6-7?
That He would be delivered to sinful men, be crucified and then rise on the third day.

3. C. The “third day” was associated with redemption to the Israelites. Abraham saw the lamb on the third day. Jonah was delivered from the belly of the fish on the third day. See if you can find another example.
John 2:1. The wedding feast was on the third day.

1. What stood out to you from the above and why?

I love that first verse of 1 John–how John leaves no room for doubt or uncertainty. And Luke 24:45–the graciousness of God to open our eyes to truth–while I struggle sometimes with why certain loved ones eyes remain blind to it, we all are dependent upon the Spirit for the opening of our eyes.

I cried my way through all of Church yesterday. It’s not rare for me to cry, especially when we have the Lord’s supper, but this was much more. Hope deferred makes the heart sick. I felt the pain for a lost child sitting beside me, and the child I have been praying to “know of” by Easter, whose face I still have not seen. But at the end of service, in our small school gymnasium where we met, my husband and I asked an older elder and his wife if they would pray for us over this longing in my heart to adopt again. And amidst crowds folding up chairs around us, we stood in the middle of the gym and held hands and they prayed for us, and peace mixed with the tears covering my face. Easter was also our 23rd anniversary, I am un-deservingly blessed by my husband, truly my best friend, and I was reminded of God’s incredible mercy in our marriage, how He has made it a place of refuge amidst storms. There is much heartache in this world and though we were warned of it, it still surprises. But if I really look, there is always a place of refuge He provides in the midst. There are reminders of His love, His promises, His power over even death. When I am focused only on what I do not yet see, my eyes are blind to what He has now given and what is promised ahead. Hoping scares me sometimes–the risk of disappointment’s mean pain. Yet to hope in Him, in His love for me, in His perfect plans, and in the promise of a perfect Home one day–this hope will never disappoint.

Lizzy, I resonate so with much of what you have expressed so clearly here.  Praying with you for this child the Lord has yet to reveal and loving this last statement of yours here:  Hoping scares me sometimes–the risk of disappointment’s mean pain. Yet to hope in Him, in His love for me, in His perfect plans, and in the promise of a perfect Home one day–this hope will never disappoint.   -AMEN

Lizzy…“When I am focused only on what I do not yet see, my eyes are blind to what He has now given and what is promised ahead. Hoping scares me sometimes–the risk of disappointment’s mean pain. Yet to hope in Him, in His love for me, in His perfect plans, and in the promise of a perfect Home one day–this hope will never disappoint.”  I love you ,sister.

Lizzy, thank you for your transparency.  Now that I have been more aware of your difficult journey in considering another adoption, I am praying for you more regularly.   So grateful that you felt peace amidst the tears once you prayed with another.  Your husband is such an initiator of spiritual disciplines it seems.  That is a great blessing to you.  Sending love from MN.

mary, Bing, Wanda, Dee-Thank you all for your sweet sisterhood, and the prayers. We got very discouraging news regarding our agency last week, so it’s been a rough several days–I’m squeezed in that place between wanting to hold onto hope, but so fearing the risk of more disappointment. I also realized that no matter how “loosely” I thought I was holding this dream, my heart was attached to it. love you all, your prayers and kindness mean more than you could imagine.

Lizzy, my heart is breaking with you!! I can’t imagine the pain you are walking through. I’m praying for this child you have yet to see. He is your refuge and strength indeed. You are loved so.

Lizzy, that took a lot of courage to open up and share with us so honestly about your pain, fears, and disappointment….yet, like the psalmists do, you turn and remember His promises that do not disappoint. And, what a blessing that your husband is your best friend, and a refuge for you here on earth. Thankful too for the couple that prayed with you. I pray that you will hear some encouraging news about a child soon. Love you, Lizzy.

Lizzy, I am so sorry to hear that you have received “very discouraging” news regarding adoption. My heart aches for you. So hard. Praying for you and with you.

Lizzy, my heart goes out to you.  You are such a blessing to me with your depth of walk with and love for our sweet Jesus.  I adopted internationally last year and another one is in the works.  I’m a single middle aged woman and it’s so very difficult to support the family financially, homeschool an uneducated teen, and good with a teen from another culture who lived in an institution her entire life.  I have been cast upon the Lord more than ever and am experiencing his love in ways unimaginable to me before.  Would love to hear more about your adoption journey!  My email address is miriammatson@outlook.com.

Miriam–your sweet words, your wisdom–just brought tears! I would love to share & glean from you–will be in touch–and THANK YOU!

Beautiful reflections Lizzy, as always. I pray with you for this child who is yours but you do not yet see.

We sing a song at Church (and did yesterday) that makes me laugh because the tune reminds me of the old 70’s music I grew up with! BUT, the lyrics are SO rich–I wanted to share (there isn’t a good youtube for it)
“Swallowed Up Death”
The whole of nature groans with longing,
We ache for that promised glory;
Still we rejoice because we know
Plans formed of old, faithful and sure.
The whole of nature groans with longing,
We wait for that promised glory;
Still we rejoice because we know
Our sorrow’s end is coming.
He will swallow up death, and wipe the tears from our faces;
He will swallow up death, and wipe the tears from our faces!
We’ll sing, “This is our God we waited for, and he saved us!”
He will swallow up death, and wipe the tears from our faces!
Here in the darkness of our mourning,
We wait from the light that’s coming;
And on that day we will return,
With joy and gladness singing:
Behold your God, he will come and save you!
Behold your God, he will come and save you!

Beautiful lyrics, Lizzy.   (now I’m curious about the ’70’s melody.  :) )  You have some very unique songs at your church.  I like that.

1. What stood out to you from the above and why?
“Only the Spirit of truth can open the eyes of the blind,  as He did for those after the resurrection.”
The last two years our church because of over crowding in our own church facility has met at the Municipal Building for Easter services.  We have promoted it in our town as a community event with a free breakfast and celebration of Easter worship service. The attendance has been large and people who normally don’t  go to church have attended.  That comment  “only the Spirit of truth can open the eyes of the blind” stands out to me in relationship to the unbelievers who joined us yesterday morning. The worship singing and choice of songs were very good and the message presented was  clear and powerful but it takes the moving of the Holy Spirit to open eyes and hearts.
I was personally blessed by the music yesterday. we have blended worship and sang the old Easter hymns as well as some contemporary choruses and ended the service with “In Christ Alone”.

MONDAY-WEDNESDAY BIBLE STUDY:
3. Read Luke 24:1-12
They couldn’t wait to see the Lord one more time. That in the midst of their grief they went to honor our Lord by doing what is customary. Some of them may not have even slept!
B. Why promise of Jesus were the women reminded of in Luke 24:6-7?
Be delivered to sinners, crucified and on the third day rise again.
I had to look and found this site of “third days”. http://heartofwisdom.com/biblicalholidays/2011/04/10/15-third-day-events-in-the-bible/ Acouple that caught my attention: On the third day, God descended to Mount Sinai and then on the third day, Esther, after fasting, put on royal garment and entered the palace.
The gospel at times may sound like idle talk to those who we witness to and are not aware of their sinfulness and need for Christ. Or sometimes our witness may be considered nonsense by others.
E. What stands out to you from this passage and why?

That women’s testimony were highlighted in this passage and forever recorded for us. Dr. Luke considered this valid eyewitness testimony and accorded the women a place in History.

Bing! Of course there would be a way to google and find all the third day references! You smartie. :-)

:-) I know there are quite a few  smarties out there. My fingers just need to be smart to find them. Yay for Google! LOL

3. Read Luke 24:1-12

They were up early and committed to continue ministering even in death by caring for the Lord’s body.  He had caputured their hearts by Who He was and how he had treated them.
B. Why promise of Jesus were the women reminded of in Luke 24:6-7?

That he had told them back in Galilee on the third day He would rise.

I’m drawing a blank this morning on this one.

I would suspect the women were perhaps being written off as hyserical or emotionally overwrought women. The cruxifixction was a horrible thing for them to see and experience and I am sure there had been an element of wailing and deep expression of emotions. The Jews were a people who grieved loudly and in some ways more freely than we Americans could relate to.
E. What stands out to you from this passage and why?

Peter’s response.
He obviously didn’t just write the women off. He had to run see for himself. He knew something had happened.  Different translations say at the tomb “he wondered”   “he marveled”   “he was amazed”
It would seem at that point he got it.  This Jesus he knew and had come to love continually surprised them by his actions and hope was starting to rise in Peter’s mind and heart.

They surely must have been awake all night mourning and comforting each other and planning what they could do to show their love, even though Jesus was dead.  So, it follows that they would not hesitate a second longer once there was enough light for them to get to the tomb safely and do what they thought was their final act of love toward Jesus.

B. Why promise of Jesus were the women reminded of in Luke 24:6-7?   He had told them clearly and directly that he would suffer many things…die and rise again.   “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.”    Luke 9:22

He had also spoken figuratively when he said that the temple could be destroyed and in three days he would raise it up.   Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.”  John 2:19

Hmmm.  I was kinda stumped and didn’t want to look up any commentary or look at other’s answers until I’d thought awhile.  First I thought of Elijah and the story of him fleeing to a cave but it talks about 3 natural elements: wind, fire and earthquake and then the still, small voice of God…….but not three days.
Now that I’ve written my answer to the question above, I’m wondering if the answer is as easy as Jesus’ metaphor about the temple?   But I don’t think that’s what you mean since that is a metaphor and not an actual event…..like Abraham, and Jonah.

Still thinking!

Love your thinking!

What stands out? The men were amazed by the women! Again, the women were the ones who had “the skinny” on all that was occurring. It’s so interesting to me how they are the ones who are privy to all the important events of those three days. It’s as if the men were in a daze, but the women were not. Isn’t that so how it is in life sometimes? Not to bad mouth our men at all; it’s just that we have this tendency to make sure it all somehow gets done even when we are exhausted. We have different roles to manage. When the babies are crying we are rocking them, feeding them, or whatever we think they need at the time….it could be the middle of the night and there we are. If we aren’t doing it ourselves, we are orchestrating the events so that dinner is served, teeth are brushed, and stories are read. He made us tough. I think we have also discussed how the women were able to be trusted with the knowledge of the occurrences of that time. Why would they lie? What would they have had to gain? Were the women the ones who could give the attention to detail necessary for others to learn about the resurrection? They wouldn’t leave out any detail?

Interesting reflections on why God had women at the tomb first, Laura. I also love that is shows His respect for women in a world that did not respect women.

1. What stood out to you from the above and why?

Love the painting showing Thomas and the other disciples actually touching Jesus’ resurrected body. Jesus was definitely not a “hands-off” friend, savior, or Lord to them.

Again I took my daughter to my former church….we were a few minutes late so had to stand but didn’t mind. The sermon focused on what could have changed men like Peter, James, and Saul (Paul)? Only a risen Savior. The resurrection was real; He appeared to around 500 people, and it was and is transforming.
As I read of others here experiencing strained family relationships, and Wanda’s post where she described conversation without much “meat”….yes, I experienced that, too. My teenage daughter will still come to church with me but seems unaffected by it; we’re the only two in our family who at least go to church. For the others I think it is just indifference, busyness, chasing after other things. Our world and culture offer so many things that are more than able, if we let them, to gobble-up anything that has to do with God.

Oh Susan, it is hard to live in our less than lovely world! I have those in my family who don’t participate even though we are a “bible based” family. It is disappointing; raised “right” but not interested or involved at all. I try to do what my mom would do…model the correct behavior and not worry (too much).

Laura, I “see” you modeling grace, and more grace, and even more grace….and continuing to love. Yes, it is hard to live in our less than lovely world, but you are doing it well!

WOW… There is so much here yet for some reason this simple part stood out this morning.

When they reached their home Jesus acted as if he was going further--but they urged Him strongly to stay and He did. This is huge to me..I see this love story going on..That He desired so much a response from them for He stirred their hearts on the road as He talked and shared Scripture-His presence. He is the Word!! Their hearts were burning for Him even though they didn’t know it was He who was walking with them. So HE stirred their hearts making them burn with passion for Him and they STRONGLY urge Him to come to their home. Then after He went into their home, He opened their eyes and they saw it was Him. He did everything and they just responded!

..and I am even more excited for I think I see The Song here!! :0

I really like the way you observed this is a love story going on. Good thoughts.

Oh Rebecca — you will have to tell how you see the Song!

Yeah, Rebecca! Share about the Song.

I see the love story-of Him stirring them, and His passion desiring them to want Him for that is who He is..I don’t see Him just moving on as if they were just acquaintances for He started the fire in their hearts-they were burning..

But He walks on but then they urge him strongly to come into their home. I see, as Dee has put it before, a shy lover stirring hearts into the dance. I think He desired for them to invite Him in.

In SOS 2: He metaphorically peeks through the lattice standing behind the wall stirring her passion for Him as He calls her to Arise and go away with Him.  HIS HEART FOR US-oh. In SOS 5 He is knocking on her door stirring her heart for her love had waned and when He put His hand through the latch her heart was thrilled and she responded, got out of bed and sought Him but then she couldn’t find Him-He withdrew but yet He came back. The scene is different than this scene in Luke, but He isn’t different in how He woos us, stirs our hearts, waits for us, invites us in and opens our eyes.

Sweet Dee-PLEASE be honest with me if this is a stretch or I am completely off in the Song. I can do that sometimes!!
    This may not be the right way to discern Scripture but sometimes God moves through meditating on a passage so He starts the stirring in my intellect and moves down to my heart..He came to me yesterday morning the opposite way where He stirred my heart seeing this as a love scene like in SOS.

Rebecca, I believe you made a beautiful connection, and it sounds like He made it personal for you….“I see, as Dee has put it before, a shy lover stirring hearts into the dance. I think He desired for them to invite Him in.” Yes, because He didn’t just boldly, from the outset, declare Hey guys – it’s Me! He stirred their hearts before they even knew.

An “a ha!” moment just occurred for me… how often do I (me) “stay in my bed” not wanting to “dirty my feet”?…the Holy Spirit nudges, urges, etc., but I delay or retreat?  Thanks for the SoS prompting, Rebecca.
      (So looking forward to the book release, Dee.)

2. Read Luke 24:13-35 (I love this passage so much I’ve had us do it on many Easter weeks, so this year I just want you to share what stands out to you and why. (Make it good!)
“And he said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!”

“Slow of heart to believe” stood out to me. The disciples were slow of heart to believe in even in their up close and personal encounters with Jesus. And I am no different.  The issue is the heart. It is with the heart we must believe. It starts with our thinking but acceptance in the heart is what really matters in any meaningful relationship.  I love the way Rebecca framed it  as  a “love story” happening. He wanted a response from their hearts so He stirred their hearts. That is good and encouraging that He loves me and seeks to stir my heart.

3. Read Luke 24:1-12
Eager. Hungry. Aching to be with Him. Missing Him. The awoke, or likely never slept, and only He was on their minds.

I don’t know how “good” this is, but I’ll share! I have a lot of favorite verses, and Luke 24:32 is one of them, “They said to each other, “Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the Scriptures?”
Something about it, brings all my emotions to the surface. For me, it proves the power—the power in the resurrection, the power of Christ’s love for us, His full redemption of us—a power I so quickly forget when I feel I am drowning in cares of this world. Their hearts burned—they felt a deep, physical change within. I know that feeling, I have experienced it—but I want more of it. I too easily default to trying to live by my own righteousness, and it happens without even realizing it, until something happens that exposes me. But this power, this burning hope—is always available to us. Lord, forgive me for becoming complacent. Renew, refresh me, to sense the heat of Your power in me, Your Holy Spirit, that has overcome death and set us free.

I LOVE that verse too.

LIzzy-OH I think He is fanning the flame in our hearts here on the blog-burning!!
    Oh my- I too can be so easily complacent, :(  .BUT GLORY-as I so love that how you have encouraged us this morning, “This power, this BURNING HOPE-is always available to us”…HE IS RISEN INDEED!!!  Lord I agree with LIzzy and I too confess my complacent heart,the ways I have stayed in bed, so many times this past week I haven’t seen it and I fall, and sometimes I have yet I choose my idol-even for a moment-and yet you’ve helped me see even while the temptation is happening-oh what Love is this?? Any victory over temptation is from you..Jesus my flesh and my heart has failed but you are my strength and my portion!

D. The word “idle tales” in verse 11 was a medical term Luke the physician used meaning “the delirious talk of the very ill.” What does this tell you?      I think that it speaks to two things at least.  1.)  sadly, it probably is a reflection of the patriarchal attitudes that were common to everyone really.  Even if Jesus had been elevating women through all his ministry, I suppose it was still very hard for people to accept that women were bearers of such important news and that they had the story right!

2.) ‘Idle Tales’ speaks to the plain and simple incredulity of the news!  How would I respond?  I am sometimes more skeptical than I should be.  Would I believe that this might be true?  Or would I assume it was grief soaring out of control?  Or a rumor that was spreading wishful thinking.  I’m glad that Peter got up and ran to the tomb because it shows that he didn’t dismiss the story but had to find out for himself.   Maybe it speaks to his impulsive nature, but I also see his quest for HOPE and his deep longing for the Lord to be alive.   Who knows what kinds of questions their grieving minds were filled with?   Again, I suspect that no one had had much sleep and there was nothing else on their mind except the events of the past week.   When your senses are so heightened like that……you act much more quickly than when everything had settled in and you had resigned that life is now truly different and you must go on without the One you love by your side.

Wanda, you make good points about exhaustion, physical and emotional. Interesting components to consider in this. Sometimes I don’t consider the humanness of the disciples when reading the texts; almost as if they were “super human” in energy…this definitely opens the readings up to a bigger picture.

1.  I thought the “He is risen” followed by the response, “He is risen indeed,” was a modern thing.  It makes it extra special to know that it came from the first century.

3.  A couple of things just from reading other responses… I heard it said once that since it was a woman who first sinned, the resurrection was proclaimed to women first as a way of fully redeeming our gender.  And then about the third day.  Loved the web site – thanks, Bing! The one I most resonated with is Joseph releasing his brothers from prison in Egypt on the third day. Gen 42:17-18.  With Jesus’ resurrection, we are released from the prison of sin.

4.B.  We do the same thing when we say ‘I can hardly believe it!’  Something is so wonderful, so beyond description, that your heart leaps and you ‘disbelieve for joy’.

I hadn’t thought of that with Joseph either. He is such a Christ figure in that he forgave his brothers, brought them to conviction, and then forgave.

Mary B., loved how you tied our release to the third day akin to Joseph’s story-With Jesus’ resurrection, we are released from the prison of sin.

1. What stood out to you from the above and why? That the Spirit of Truth has to open eyes. My hope for the lost people dear to me is in the Lord and his mercy. My hope for me is in him never leaving or forsaking me.

Chris-I see this in your life-you pressing in- and He inspires me through you.

4. Read Luke 24:38-43

Jesus appeared to them again in the room where they met. He showed them his hands and feet and ate fish with them. He declared that a spirit would not have flesh and bones, but He did.

B.  What do you think the phrase “disbelieved for joy” means?

They didnt want to believe in case they were wrong? They didn’t want to get their hopes up?

C. Why did he eat fish? Why is this important doctrinally?

I’m not really sure about this one, but is it because they were “fishers of men” and He was acknowledging this to show He was one of them? Or, is it because they had all eaten fish when He multiplied them for the crowd? Or, is it because they were fishermen and they “caught” Him? As I said before, I don’t really understand why this is doctrinally important. Can someone help?

I think you might be right on disbelieved for joy. Eager to see what others think.

That they were not sleeping, they were distraught.

B. Why promise of Jesus were the women reminded of in Luke 24:6-7?

That he would rise from the dead.

C. The “third day” was associated with redemption to the Israelites. Abraham saw the lamb on thethird day. Jonah was delivered from the belly of the fish on the third day. See if you can find another example.

Noah sent out a dove 3 times:

Genesis 8:6-12

At the end of forty days Noah opened the window of the ark that he had made and sent forth a raven. It went to and fro until the waters were dried up from the earth. Then he sent forth a dove from him, to see if the waters had subsided from the face of the ground. But the dove found no place to set her foot, and she returned to him to the ark, for the waters were still on the face of the whole earth. So he put out his hand and took her and brought her into the ark with him. 10 He waited another seven days, and again he sent forth the dove out of the ark. 11 And the dove came back to him in the evening, and behold, in her mouth was a freshly plucked olive leaf. So Noah knew that the waters had subsided from the earth. 12 Then he waited another seven days and sent forth the dove, and she did not return to him anymore.”

It highlights the level to which they hadn’t heard or taken in what Christ told them about his death and resurrection. They were with him and had heard him, but they had been far from taking in what he was saying.
They thought the women were nuts.
It makes me wonder about my blindnesses. What all have I heard but not taken in?

“It makes me wonder about my blindness. What all have I heard but not taken in?”
    I agree, Chris…how much information, wisdom, understanding, etc. has been offered to me, but I don’t “see” or “hear”?

1. What stands out from above and why?
The private revelations of all the other religions and the publicness of Christianity… I never really gave it much thought previously, but it is HUGE! Jesus after His resurrection appeared publicly; He appeared to numbers of people…MANY. Yes, this is not news to me, but the difference in the public revelation and it’s proof makes Christianity entirely different than all other religions where revelation is provided to only one and in private… where is the proof? the substantiation? How does one know it isn’t a “story,” a farce? Jesus leaves no doubt or question…He is the resurrected King/Messiah.

3. Read Luke 24:1-12

A. “Early dawn” meant “as soon as it was light enough to see”. What does this tell you about the hearts of the women?

They were anxious to return to Him, to where His body lay. They didn’t say, let’s get a little more sleep; after all, it can wait until later. But, it may also tell us that they were grieving. The psalmist wrote that he “drenched his couch with tears all night long” so they may have been awake most of the night, sleepless because of their grief. So when it was light enough to see, they got going. There is nothing worse than lying awake during the night when your heart is oppressed by grief, worry, fear….the night seems endless.

B. What promise of Jesus were the women reminded of in Luke 24:6-7?

The angels told them to remember Jesus’ words of how He would be crucified but then on the third day be raised again.

The wedding in Cana, where Jesus turned the water into wine, was “on the third day”.

D. The word “idle tales” in verse 11 was a medical term Luke the physician used meaning “the delirious talk of the very ill”. What does this tell you?

It may mean that these women were so overcome by grief, and it was so intense….also they had witnessed first hand the horrible crucifixion….perhaps the others believed that they had “snapped” – had a mental breakdown.

E. What stands out to you from this passage and why?

That while the women were not believed, Peter RAN to the tomb. Peter, who must have been filled with regret and anguish over how he denied his best friend and thought he would never have another chance to make things right with Jesus….suddenly, there was a glimmer of hope. How often I have wished that I could go back and do things differently. Although Peter couldn’t have a “re-do”, he could have his relationship with Jesus restored.

You always have such good insight, Susan.

Dear ladies, as I read your comments lamenting for loved ones who have fallen away or may have never drawn near to our Lord, I can relate, yet I remember a day when my parents could have said much the same of me.  I awoke early Easter morning and laid in bed listening to Tim Keller sermon on pride (highly recommend…it is on YouTube).  I attended Easter worship solo, yet surrounded by Christian brothers and sisters…it was a lovely, uplifting worship.  I noticed a young family a few rows ahead of me; the young man graduated a year ahead of my oldest daughter.  Their family looked so “perfect,” enjoying the Easter worship fully, engaged in worship…I hoped and prayed that this might be the case for my daughters.  I know (through the wife’s testimony) that their lives have not been “perfect” by any means and the Lord has worked mightily to bring them to this better place.  Anyway, I continue to pray for my loved ones to draw near to the Lord and allow His love to envelop them.  There is a song by Elevation Worship that just rings in my head since the first time hearing it on “Worship on the way”… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B_lnQIITxU   I hope it feeds your souls as it has mine.

Nanci, That is a great song with such strong and true lyrics. Thanks for sharing.

Nanci,
    Such a beautiful song here on this early, rainy, Montana morning.  And much-needed as  I keep asking for the Lord to move another mountain in one of my children’s lives.

Thank you.

What a lovely song, Nanci. So hope-filled. Thanks so much for sharing. I had never heard of this group. I loved the pictures of the barren landscape. Often we feel we are walking through such a barren landscape.

Thank you Nanci.   That is a beautiful song.  I found myself singing along.  Jackie’s testimony always encourages me……and now yours also.  THANK YOU for sharing personally and the song.   I too, have seen over and over that ‘looking perfect’ in church is not a true indication of a family’s life.   I am so grateful for a God who knows our hearts and doesn’t get tripped up by outward appearances as we so often do.

Thanks, Nanci. He can move mountains and hE has never failed us yet. Great is His faithfulness.

4. Read Luke 24:38-43

Jesus appeared suddenly in their midst and they just couldn’t believe what they were seeing and that it was really Him in flesh.  I appreciate that He appeared to the others so soon and affirmed what they were being told  by the ones who had seen Him already.

B.  What do you think the phrase “disbelieved for joy” means?

Disbelief means inability to accept that something is true or real and the synonyms are words like astonishment, amazement, surprise and incredulousness.  So He was real right before their own eyes and it felt so unbelievable but coupled with joy.  He brings great joy to our lives when we see for “real”  that He is present and working in our lives.

The C. Why did he eat fish? Why is this important doctrinally?

It comes back to the fact He was a real human being.  Even as fully God He was still fully man as well. Eating and having flesh and bones verified that Jesus was truly resurrected in the flesh.
I think of Job’s declaration that says “For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth.”
Job 19:25

5.B.  Foreshadowing of Jesus in the Old Testament.  I’ve always had a special place in my heart for Ps 16:10b… nor will you let your Holy One see decay.  It is only of Jesus that is true.  And it is quoted in Acts.

7.  Fulfillment of Isaiah 53:11a… After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life, and be satisfied.  It explains itself.

[I have not read any of the comments as yet, but I thought I’d take a stab at commenting before I do!]
4. Luke 24:38-43
A. The two on the road to Emmaus were just telling the other disciples what had happened when this next event begins. What happened in this passage?  He stood in their midst.
B.  What do you think the phrase “disbelieved for joy” means?  This might be another way of saying:  “This is too good to be true!”
C. Why did he eat fish? Why is this important doctrinally?  Jesus is both fully God and fully man.  He ate physical food showing the human side of Him.

3.C. See if you can find another example.
Saul was blind for three days (Acts 9:9).

D. (“idle tales”) What does this tell you?
The male disciples didn’t necessarily view the women with the same level of respect Jesus did, in that the report was deemed nonsense and with disbelief. It also tells me that they didn’t understand Jesus’ teaching of His death and resurrection.

E. What stands out to you and why?
The women…they were the ones attending Jesus at the cross, attending to His burial preparation, they supported His ministry monetarily and in participation… Jesus included these women (our sisters in Christ) as an integral part of it all.

Loved that example of Saul being blind for three days. And then! Perfect.

Saul…..yes!  I’m impressed.
    There are so many and I couldn’t come up with any on my own!

2. Read Luke 24:13-35 (I love this passage so much I’ve had us do it on many Easter weeks, so this year I just want you to share what stands out to you and why.)

I think what stands out to me is that Jesus was patient with these two men. He did not rush to reveal Himself. He allowed them to tell their story – the story of what had recently happened in Jerusalem to Jesus, what they believed it all meant, and their disappointment…”we had hoped that He was the one….” Jesus listened to them. Then, He told them His story, the story of Himself that is woven all through the Old Testament as we know it and the prophets. And He let that story sit with them for a while. We read a few verses later that their hearts were burning within them, but Jesus doesn’t rush the process.

2. (Luke 24:13-35) what stands out to you and why?
“but their eyes were (miraculously) prevented from recognizing Him”
Part of me has always thought “why?”… why did Jesus prevent them from recognizing Him? I’m thinking that Jesus knew that these disciples had the ability to ” put the pieces together ” to see the “full picture,” and to do so would be a powerful exercise for them. It would have been easy for Jesus to immediately reveal Himself and again provide His teaching, but even more enlightening for them would be to come to the truth, to figure it out themselves with His (unbeknownst that it was He) promptings.

4. Read Luke 24:38-43

Jesus appeared in their midst, and they were terrified because they thought Jesus was a ghost. He reassured them that it was really Him, that He was not a ghost, and showed them His wounds and also ate a piece of fish to prove that He had a real flesh and bones body.

B. What do you think the phrase “disbelieved for joy” means?

My NIV says that they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement. They had seen Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead but Jesus was alive at that time but after His death and burial, their hope in miracles like that must have died with Him…. it must have seemed so amazingly wonderful yet at the same time a “how could this really be happening – this isn’t possible”….this is too good to be true!

C. Why did He eat fish? Why is this important doctrinally?

He ate fish to prove to them that His body was real and functioned just like theirs in that ghosts don’t eat food. Doctrinally it means that Jesus has a real resurrected body; He isn’t a “spirit being” now, and our hope is that our bodies will also be raised one day and be just as real.

5. Read Luke 24:44-49
      A. What three parts of the Jewish Scriptures does Jesus mention in verse 44?

“Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.””
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:44‬ ‭ESV‬‬

B. Can you share just one example from the Old Testament where you see a foreshadowing of Jesus or His gospel? (Try not to repeat what others have found!)

I remember a podcast series Nancy DW had many years ago that really hit me hard. It was about Rahab the prostitute,  but the series spoke to “seeing” Jesus throughout the entire Bible. She said that the scarlet rope Rahab hung down out of her window represented Jesus! That has always stuck with me. Here is the passage (and by the way, the men hide for three days!):

“And she said to them, “Go into the hills, or the pursuers will encounter you, and hide there three days until the pursuers have returned. Then afterward you may go your way.” The men said to her, “We will be guiltless with respect to this oath of yours that you have made us swear. Behold, when we come into the land, you shall tie this scarlet cord in the window through which you let us down, and you shall gather into your house your father and mother, your brothers, and all your father’s household. Then if anyone goes out of the doors of your house into the street, his blood shall be on his own head, and we shall be guiltless. But if a hand is laid on anyone who is with you in the house, his blood shall be on our head. But if you tell this business of ours, then we shall be guiltless with respect to your oath that you have made us swear.” And she said, “According to your words, so be it.” Then she sent them away, and they departed. And she tied the scarlet cord in the window.”
‭‭Joshua‬ ‭2:16-21‬ ‭ESV‬‬

4. Read Luke 24:38-43
Jesus appeared with them..all of a sudden He was standing with them and it startled them. They thought He was a ghost at first-reminds me of when they were out at sea and Jesus appeared walking on the water-they thought they saw a ghost.
B.  What do you think the phrase “disbelieved for joy” means?
I am not sure. They were slow to believe He had truly risen. At first they didn’t believe. Yet deep inside could it really be? I love that they “marveled”.
C. Why did he eat fish? Why is this important doctrinally?
Hmmm…my thought is that He ate fish to show them He wasn’t a spirit? That He was flesh and bones-It is important doctrinally because He rose bodily. He said he will rise bodily in John when He said, destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up.

Hadn’t thought of that other time they thought he was a ghost!

5. Read Luke 24:44-49

A. What three parts of the Jewish Scriptures does Jesus mention in verse 44?

The Law of Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms.

B. Can you share just one example from the Old Testament where you see a foreshadowing of Jesus or His Gospel?

In Ruth 3 it describes how Ruth followed Naomi’s advice and went to where Boaz was staying and during the night, laid down at his feet. When Boaz woke up and found her there, she said to him, “Spread the corner of your garment over me, since you are a kinsman redeemer.” I learned from listening to Nancy Leigh DeMoss that this was a picture of Jesus, our Kinsman Redeemer, and I like the picture of Jesus spreading His garment over us, or covering us with His righteousness.

1) The Christ will suffer and 2) rise from the dead and 3) repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. Jesus’ suffering and being risen from the dead had already happened.

They were to stay in the city until they would “be clothed from power on high” – receive the Holy Spirit.

I don’t think my post posted for some reason. Sorry if I posted twice 😬.

5. Read Luke 24:44-49
      A. What three parts of the Jewish Scriptures does Jesus mention in verse 44?

‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:44‬ ‭ESV‬‬

I remember a podcast series Nancy DW had many years ago that really hit me hard. It was about Rahab the prostitute,  but the series spoke to “seeing” Jesus throughout the entire Bible. She said that the scarlet rope Rahab hung down out of her window represented Jesus! That has always stuck with me. Here is the passage (and by the way, the men hide for three days!):

‭‭Joshua‬ ‭2:16-21‬ ‭ESV‬‬

4. Read Luke 24:38-43 A. The two on the road to Emmaus were just telling the other disciples what had happened when this next event begins. What happened in this passage?
He reveals Himself to them, with compassion for their fears and quieting their doubts.

B.  What do you think the phrase “disbelieved for joy” means?
I‘m wondering if this is not a disbelief in the resurrection, but of His bodily form. They were so filled with joy over his resurrection, that they never expected to see, touch, Him again in the flesh.

C. Why did he eat fish? Why is this important doctrinally?
He proves His need for food, His ability to eat, He is not a ghost! He is fully real, in physical body form.

Lizzy — I can so identify with them never expecting to touch, see, hear Him again. So good.

A. What three parts of the Jewish Scriptures does Jesus mention in verse 44?

The Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalm.

B. Can you share just one example from the Old Testament where you see a foreshadowing of Jesus or   His gospel? (Try not to repeat what others have found!)

In the book of Leviticus we see how God instituted the system of high priests who made sacrifices for sin for themselves and the people which foreshadowed the coming of Christ who became the perfect high priest as well as the perfect sacrifice for our sin.  In Hebrews 5:9-10 the writer talks about Jesus “having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation, being designated by God as a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek.”

One: Christ would suffer and die. And two: Christ would rise again on the 3rd day. These 2 had happened. And three: the Gospel would go forth.  (and that repentance for sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

Stay in Jerusalem until they were clothed with power from on high.

6. Read Luke 24:50-53 and describe what happened.

Jesus led them out to Bethany and He blessed them then ascended into Heaven.  It left them full of joy and worship and praise.  I find it interesting they went to the temple and were continually praising God.

1 2