On the walk to Emmaus, Jesus took two grieving disciples
through the Old Testament to show them pictures of why the Messiah would need to die and rise again.
Perhaps two of those pictures were from
Job and the Song of Songs.
WHEN JOB WAS SUFFERING
HE PRAYED THAT GOD WOULD LET HIM DIE,
BUT THEN AN ICY FEAR CAME, FOR JOB LIVED IN THE TIME OF GENESIS WHEN LITTLE WAS KNOWN ABOUT THE AFTERLIFE.
SO JOB ASKED:
IF A MAN DIES, SHALL HE LIVE AGAIN?
THE SPIRIT OF THE LIVING GOD CAME AND REVEALED TRUTH TO JOB.
SUDDENLY JOB CRIES OUT:
YOU WOULD CALL, AND I WILL ANSWER YOU;
YOU WOULD LONG FOR THE WORK OF YOUR HANDS.
DO YOU SEE?
WHEN A CHILD OF GOD DIES,
GOD MISSES THE ONE HIS HANDS MADE.
HE WILL CALL YOUR NAME,
LIKE HE CALLED THE NAME OF LAZARUS,
AND YOU WILL RISE!
JESUS WAS THE FIRSTFRUITS.
LOW IN THE GRAVE HE LAY,
AND HIS FATHER MISSED HIM.
IF CHRIST HAS NOT RISEN, OUR HOPE IS IN VAIN. BUT CHRIST HAS RISEN. AND ONE DAY GOD WILL CALL THE NAMES OF HIS CHILDREN AND WE WILL RISE WITH NEW BODIES, LIKE HE HAS. THE ONES YOU LOVE WHO DIED IN THE LORD WILL RISE. WE HAVE SOMETHING TO CELEBRATE!
WE SEE A SHADOW OF THIS IN THE SONG:
1.What stands out to you from the above and why?
Monday-Thursday Bible Study
2. Share a new insight or a way God met you this holy week.
Derek Kidner writes: “The very presence of such prayers in Scripture is a witness to His understanding. He knows how men speak when they are desperate.”
4. How does Job see more hope for a tree in Job 14:7-12?
5. The turn in Job’s lament comes in Job 14: 13-14. Describe it.
6. Now the Spirit of the living God speaks — find it in Job 14:15-15-17.
7. The next time the Spirit of the living God breaks into Job’s lament is in 19:25-27. Find and describe it.
8. Job was a righteous man who nearly died from his suffering, and his story has been a comfort to millions. But there is a GREATER JOB in JESUS.. Compare their suffering, their victories, and their impact.
9. Read 1 Corinthians 15:12-26 and explain why it is vital to our faith that Christ arose.
10. Read Song of Songs 2:10-14 in light of foreshadowing your resurrection. What new things do you see?
11. USE THIS PASSAGE AS A SPRINGBOARD OF PRAISE TO GOD.
FRIDAY: INTRODUCING IMPACT360.ORG — A GREAT RESOURCE FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. WATCH THIS FIVE MINUTE VIDEO AND COMMENT:
12. What is your take-a-way and why?