I’VE READ SO MANY EXCELLENT BOOKS ABOUT PRAYER:
YANCEY, KELLER, MURRAY, BONHOEFFER…
SO IT’S TIME FOR ME AND YOU TO:
TOGETHER, WE WILL HELP ONE ANOTHER,
THIS WEEK AND THEN AGAIN, THANKSGIVING WEEK
TO PERSIST IN PRAYER
I’VE PONDERED HOW TO DO THIS ON A BLOG,
SINCE JESUS SAYS TO DO THIS IN SECRET.
SO HERE’S THE PLAN:
GET INTO A PRIVATE PLACE EACH MORNING WITH YOUR NOTEBOOK OR HOWEVER YOU WANT TO RECORD.
EACH TWO DAYS I’LL GIVE A REVIEW OF SOMETHING WE’VE LEARNED AND YOU CAN PUT THAT INTO PRACTICE — ALONG WITH ANY OTHER WAY THE LORD HAS LED YOU.
IT WON’T BE PERFECT
IT WON’T BE POLISHED
BUT OH HOW GLAD HE WILL BE TO SEE YOU THERE IN YOUR SECRET PLACE, FOR HE SAYS:
WHAT CAN YOU SHARE HERE, PUBLICLY, ON THE BLOG?
THANKSGIVING THAT LEADS YOU INTO AWE
WHAT YOU ARE LEARNING BY PRACTICING
BUT LET EVERYTHING ELSE BE FOR GOD’S EARS ALONE
AND YOUR FATHER, WHO SEES IN SECRET,
WILL REWARD YOU
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 15TH
1. When and where will you meet with God and how will you record your prayers?
2. What can you thank Him for that happened last week — can it lead you into awe?
3. How were you quickened in church this morning?
MONDAY – TUESDAY
4. Begin with Scripture and let that be a launchpad into prayer, for as Bonhoeffer said, “It is a dangerous error to think the soul can pray by itself.” Read whatever you are doing in your quiet time, or use Psalm 1. Do this in secret. But if you learn something or have thanks to give, feel free to share here.
5. George Mueller said the first and foremost duty of a Christian is to get his soul “happy in the Lord.” Use music, the Word, and thanksgiving. Confess your sins and cast your burdens on Him. When a verse quickens you, stop and pray it. Do this in secret but if you learn something or have thanks to give, do it here.
6. Nicky Gumbel says:
Keep it honest.
Keep it simple.
Keep it up.
7. Did your prayer life improve this week? What was most helpful that you want to keep doing?