THE ROAD FROM FATHER KNOWS BEST
THE CELL OF SOCIETY,
SO DOES THE WORLD.
BUT THIS ISN’T JUST ABOUT REDEFINING MARRIAGE,
IT IS ABOUT A LACK OF RESPECT WITHIN THE FAMILY.
IT’S ABOUT CHILDREN NOT HONORING THEIR PARENTS.
IT’S ABOUT PARENTS NOT HONORING GOD’S PLAN TO TRAIN THEIR CHILDREN
IT’S ABOUT WIVES NOT RESPECTING THEIR HUSBANDS
IT’S ABOUT HUSBANDS NOT SACRIFICING FOR THEIR FAMILIES
THE WORLD UNRAVELS?
BECAUSE WE’VE UPSET GOD’S NATURAL ORDER.
I LIVE ON A GREAT LAKE.
HOW I REMEMBER DECADES OF
DEAD ALEWIVES COVERING THE SHORE
They fouled the air, they fouled the beauty, and they changed our world. In the sixties and seventies, we would gather their slimy bodies, staring at us with their glassy eyes, and carry buckets of them to pits the men had dug to bury them. What happened? Man had upset the ecological balance. There are different theories, but all have to do with upsetting God’s natural ecological balance. Sea Lampreys, who are native to the Atlantic Ocean, not the Great Lakes, entered the Great Lakes through man-made locks and shipping canals. The Sea Lampreys preyed on Lake Trout, which are the natural predator to the alewives. Man also over-fished the Lake Trout, ignoring fishing restrictions. More stocking of Lake Trout and stricter enforcement of fishing restrictions has stopped the plague, though we can still have an occasional horrible day of dead alewives floating in.
God has told us to care for the earth, and when we don’t, there are grave consequences. Likewise God gave instructions for the family, which He designed. Many of those instructions can be found here in Proverbs. When we ignore them, it is not just we who suffer, but the whole of society, in ways we cannot even imagine. Who would have thought that letting in the Sea Lamprey or going over your limit in Lake Trout would lead to so much death and defilement?
God told us this unraveling would happen in the last days, but we can live differently in our families. Jesus told us:
1. What stands out to you from the above and why?
Monday-Wednesday Bible Study
2. What does Proverbs 23:22 tell us to do? In your life, right now, how would you apply this? What idols might stand in your way of doing this, and how could you over come them? How can gazing at the gospel help you?
3. This is related to the 5th commandment that comes with a promise. According to Deuteronomy 5:16, what is the promise?
4. In the sermon by Keller this week, he has an interesting take on the above. He doesn’t think the promise is that you will have long life, but rather, that it may go well with you in the land you are being given, for you, and for future generations. In others words, when we don’t honor our parents, the family begins to unravel, and then the society unravels, and life becomes cursed. Agree or disagree and why?
5. Read Proverbs 21 in its entirety and share anything that quickens you.
6. Read Proverbs 21:9, 19 and 27:15.
A. Use the word pictures to help you explain how nagging affects a husband.
B. How does it show a lack of respect?
C. What is the difference between submitting a request and nagging?
D. What idol do you think is at the root of nagging and how could you replace it? What do you have to believe about God in order to not nag?
7. Read Proverbs 22 in its entirety and share anything that quickens you.
8. Jay Adams translates Proverbs 22:6 as “Allow a child to have his own way and when he is old he will still want his own way.” That’s the opposite side of the same truth. Discipine bad behavior and see good fruit — neglect bad behavior and see bad fruit.There are plenty of other proverbs and verses that warn parents to discipline and train their children such as Proverbs 13:14; 23:13-14; Ephesians 6:4) Given all this, how would you summarize a parent’s calling?
When I was a young mother I listened to sermons that helped me set and keep boundaries with children. I don’t have those sermons, but I recommend both Paul Tripp’s curriculum for parents, and also Alistair Begg’s sermons on The Gospel Coalition on this. For those interested (completely optional — I realize this may not be relevant to many) here is the link — and they are free.
Thursday-Friday Sermon (Not Free, But Excellent)
9. What notes or comments do you have in regard to any of the above sermons?
10. What is your take-a-way and why?