greeting scenes in Scripture. Both this painting by Ghirlandaio and Luci Shaw’s poem are entitled Visitation. I’ve memorized Luci’s
poem and think of it often. Eager for your reflections!
Framed in light
Mary sings through the doorway
Elizabeth’s six month joy jumps
A palpable greeting, a hidden first encounter
Between son and Son
And my heart turns over
when I meet Jesus in you.
Read Luke 1:39-45
1. What does Elizabeth say to Mary in verse 43? What attitude does she have toward Mary?
2. How is this depicted in the painting? Other comments on the painting?
3. What do you think Elizabeth wasn’t jealous?
4. Read verse 44 and comment on Luci Shaw’s poem.
5. How does she affirm Mary?
6. How good are you at affirming friends for their faith or character? What might you do today?
7. Share a time when you met another person and recognized Jesus in them before you knew for sure they were a believer. What happened?
8. What is your take-a-way this week and why?